New Discussion юеВ

Re: group ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
navin
Super Advisor

group ?

Hello ,
I need to add a user id in more than 16 groups .If i add the user id it works fine except for nfs shares. Any work around fix?
Thanks Much
Learning ...
7 REPLIES 7
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

The hard limit for the number of groups that a single login is allowed in HP-UX is 20 so you are well below that. "Share" is a foreign concept to UNIX; NFS servers export; NFS clients mount. In any event, the only data a client sees is the UID and GID; how these are mapped to logins and group names is entirely dependent upon the client. If the NFS client is an HP-UX box then it should be able to handle the group mapping for up to 20 groups per user regardless of whether this is an NFS mount or a local file system. I assume that you have /etc/group linked to /etc/logingroup so that the multiple group membership is implicit.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

By the way (and again assuming that your NFS client is HP-UX and that the version is 11.x),you may have a stale pwgrd (passwd and group caching daemon). Kill pwgrd and see if your problem disappears. You actually don't need this daemon so you do not have to restart it.
navin
Super Advisor

Sorry , i mentioned it wrongly. Including primary group now the id is belong to 21 groups. When i try to change to the nfs mount directory i get bad directory error.once i remove the user from few secondary groups ,it works fine.
Thanks
Learning ...
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

OK, 20 is the hard limit; there is no fix although you might open a support call to HP; if they get enough requests they might ease this restriction but if you need that many groups, you probably are doing it wrong.
Paul Ettema
Advisor

I have experience the same problem on AIX (IBM) the workaround I created is:
To put for that moment the desired group at the front of the group list.
Example:
id
-> uid=205(ettemap) gid=0(root) groups=2(bin),3(sys),4(adm),20(users),102(dba)

newgrp dba

id
-> uid=205(ettemap) gid=102(dba) groups=0(root),2(bin),3(sys),4(adm),20(users)

So, dba group is now within the first 16 (20) group names and is usable over nfs.

This workaround works fine.
Paul.

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Just a word of caution about newgrp. It work a described BUT starts a new shell. This is fine for interactive usage but newgrp can't work in a shell script. Once you run the newgrp command in a script, the script stops.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Gary L. Paveza, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

The Enhancement Request for NGROUPS to be increased is JAGaf08926. I've had this request opened since May 2004. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE place a call to HP and add yourself to this request. Currently it's being evaluated for inclusion into 11.41.