New Discussion юеВ

Re: h/w path and printer issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
siva baskaran
Regular Advisor

h/w path and printer issue

Dears,

can anyone explain me about h/w path i mean like let us take an example (0/0/1/0/1/0)

first thing is how many digit can occur like in our server max no is 7 like 0/0/0/1/0/1.0 what it indicates

second things is printer we assing installed network printer and added in hpux and ibm server, the problem is daily the printer spooler getting disabled we have to make it enable manually why it happening ?

we have added somany printer (around 80) but
not all printer spooler getting disbled, some printers only so what might be reason
and what i have to do for it never comes to disbled mode

thanks
siva baskaran
6 REPLIES 6
Sung Oh
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi Siva,

the order of HW IO paths are

Cell
SBA / 0
LBA /
Device /
Funct. /
Device /
Funct. /
Target /
LUN .

more details http://docs.hp.com/en/5991-1247/ch02s05.html#cjhdfdcg

Regards,
Sung

Ninad_1
Honored Contributor

The path depends on the hardware architechture of your server.
Thus output from a rp7400 (N class) would be different from your superdome partitions and so on. How is your system bus and how many logical bus adapters are then finally which cards are connected to the lba's and how many ports are there on the card - or if disks/tapes are visible through the card interfave etc
The explanation provided above should give you an understanding as well.

Regards,
Ninad
Jaime Bolanos Rojas.
Honored Contributor

The main reason that in your specific server you have seven digits in your h/w path is becuase probably you are using a SAN, and that last digit after the period is indicating the LUN number, which is not an entire disk, but rather a virtual partition of your raid set.

Work hard when the need comes out.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

How did you add the printer? Is it an HP printer with an HP JetDirect LAN card? Or is it a non-HP printer? The spooling system has virtually no diagnostics. Even an ordinary user can use the disable command to disable a printer. Depending on the network connection, the printer may become disabled due to paper out or paper jam or just a bad network.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
siva baskaran
Regular Advisor

Dears,
Thanks for h/w address reply and
my printer proble scenrio is

priner is non hp and connected thrg n/w card ( i mean n/w printer ) and configured by PSADMIN software, proble may be due to papper jam ok,

what i have to do enable spooler automaically incase papper jam it should enable auomatically after clear the printer or restart the printer

thanks
siva baskaran
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

PSADMIN? Is this a program on your HP-UX computer or your PC? If it is on the PC and it's printing to the HP-UX computer as a print server, then PSADMIN is out of the picture. When a printer is disabled, there is no automatic way to re-enable it. Someone or some process must check and constantly re-enable the printer queue. The non-HP printer (or more accurately, the non-HP network card in the printer) has been setup as a dumb remote printer so HP-UX gets no status as to the printer's condition. So there is no way to see why the remote printer is not working.

You would need to create a script that looks at all the printer queues on HP-UX, and run the enable command on any that have become disabled. Put this script into cron and run it every 5 or 10 minutes.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin