New Discussion юеВ

Re: /home MISSING...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Scott McDade
Frequent Advisor

/home MISSING...

Hello:

I inherited a HPUX 11i тАУ C3750 workstation and I am trying to access itтАЩs condition. I know this system was one of several and was using NIS and DNS. I have the root password and have verified in SAM that some of our common internal user have also been setup. The strange thing is I canтАЩt login as these users even though I see them in SAM. I also noticed there is no /home directory. In looking at the fstab and mnttab files I donтАЩt see it defined either. When I try to create a new user it doesnтАЩt allow me to and complains about not having a /home. I am guessing that the previous owners had /home remotely mounted with NFS so they could us NIS to manage the accounts.

Can I simply mkdir /home to solve this problem?

Or do I need to add /home entries in the fstab and mnttab files?

Keep it Simple!~
10 REPLIES 10
Victor Fridyev
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

You can create a local /home as a directory, but it will take a space from the / file system. If you don't plan to use disk space in /home, create it as
mkdir /home
If you have a lot of space in a file system, let's say in /var, you can make a directory under /var and create a link to /home:
ln -s /var/home /home

HTH
Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity - RTFM
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

>previous owners had /home remotely mounted with NFS

If that was the case, these users should have an NFS mount specified for their home directory in /etc/passwd, like this:

plr:nj594TWtu7vo6:226:20:Pete Randall,crlzr2_nf,2317,918002922766 5500647:/nfs/tsws1/home/plr:/bin/ksh

Or it might say /net rather than /nfs.

Pete

Pete
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> Or it might say /net rather than /nfs.

Or, the NFS-remote file system could simply
have been mounted at "/home". Many things
are possible.
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Why not just create /home on vg00 if that's where you want it. You got space - create it!

You need to recreate the users directories - create them.

You need to be able to login using the accounts, then simply fix /etc/skell .profile to be what you want it to be, the other files adjust if you want.
Then copy these .* files under the users /home/ directory and .... set the passwd for the user...........and login.

This is not a problem....it's just a simple fix.

Rgrds,
Rita

Scott McDade
Frequent Advisor

Thanks all for your replies....

As you can see I tried to mkdir and it would not allow me to as it already existed. Then I tried to cd to it and it can't find it. Any suggestions as to why it is recognized but won't all me to cd to it as root?

unit7hnn#
unit7hnn#
unit7hnn# mkdir /home
mkdir: cannot create /home: File exists
unit7hnn# cd /home
sh: /home: not found.
unit7hnn# cd /
unit7hnn# mkdir /home
mkdir: cannot create /home: File exists
unit7hnn# cd /home
sh: /home: not found
unit7hnn# ll *home*
unit7hnn# home

-Scott

Keep it Simple!~
Paul Cross_1
Respected Contributor

Is /home supposed to be automounted? Are you actually binding to NIS?
Scott McDade
Frequent Advisor

Hey Paul - it is automated. And not i have diable NIS.
Keep it Simple!~
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Scott,

Perhaps it's hidden under another mount point? Run a mount command or a bdf to see what is locally mounted and then try unmounting each to see if there is something mounted over top of the /home mount point.

Also, check with "ls -l /" to see if there is a directory or file already there called /home.

Pete

Pete
avizen9
Esteemed Contributor

Hello Scott,

it may be hidden somewhere,
can you post your bdf output also can you cehck in /etc/fstab file any mount point define for /home ?
also try this
cd /
file home
what will be output

thanks,