Operating System - HP-UX
1752834 Members
3808 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: /home filesystem is 100% and I am not able to create Users on this server. ?

redhat7012
Advisor

/home filesystem is 100% and I am not able to create Users on this server. ?

/home filesystem is 100% and I am not able to create Users on this server.

Please help me in knowing how to do house keeping ?

What are the steps to follow ?

Regards,
Aparna.

4 REPLIES 4
Ajin_1
Valued Contributor

Re: /home filesystem is 100% and I am not able to create Users on this server. ?

Hi

For House Keeping that you only decide .You want to zip the unused files ,which are generated ,using scripts through cron.

Thanks & Regards
Ajin.S
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: /home filesystem is 100% and I am not able to create Users on this server.

>Please help me in knowing how to do house keeping?

Basically it is each user's job to do housekeeping.  It is your job to make more disk space available or add quotas.  And monitor the usage.

(Any core files taking up space in these directories?)

find /home -type f -name "core*"

Ken Grabowski
Respected Contributor

Housekeeping.... First consider using cron to run a few scripts to check for file system usage and send you an email or text message to alert you before things get to 100%.  80 or 90 % usage are common trigger points. Maybe higher if you have big file systems.  If you happen to have other tools like OpenView Operations Manager, you can use them to monitor critical values in the server like file system space. Nightly scripts to remove core files are a common practice too.  You can go to the /home directory and run "du -sk *" to find out who is/are the major offenders and make them clean things up.

redhat7012
Advisor

Thank you again for your generosity. I look forward to the time that I can help others as you have helped me.