Operating System - Linux
1752778 Members
6188 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: host freeze with RH AS4, Error: kernel BUG at kernel/exit.c:840!

Yipeng CHEN
Occasional Advisor

Thank you very much for sharing this experience. I appreciatet it. Please help to confirm that I assumed that we do not need to recompile Oracle Binary after updating the Kernel?

Thank you again for sharing your experience.
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

no oracle binary compile is required. But when you are having the third party module like power path need to be reinstalled, lpfc driver (not built in the kernel) need to be recompiled.

Let me know if this is aplicable and you need any help
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

also remember that new kernel is always installed(-ivh) not upgraded(-Uvh). Also update the kernel-source/kernel-header/kernel-smp-devel which is applicable.
Yipeng CHEN
Occasional Advisor

Thank you so much for this. Yes, we have power Path for SANs.
This is a great Forums!
alang
Occasional Advisor

As you said you don't need to change anything regarding Oracle but the new kernel will not be available until complete the OS reboot.

BTW, we have another production server(as same as version) that also experienced the same condition at a couple of month ago. So it is strongly recommended that don't use this version(non-patched level) when implement the new system.
Yipeng CHEN
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for this. Thus, I assumed that 2.6.9-42.ELsmp (RHAS 4.4) is the most stable version on AS4.
By the way, is your RHAS 4 running on 64 bit or 32 bit?
Ours is 32 bit for Oracle 9.2.0.6
and 64 bit for Oracle 10g R2.

alang
Occasional Advisor

We have Oracle 9.2.0.6(32bit) running on RHAS4.4 and Oracle(same version,64bit) running on IBM-AIX.
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

there are 32bit and 64bit RHEL AS 4 available.. The kernel rpms are differnt for both versions. My understanding is oracle application is not related to the OS's bits
Yipeng CHEN
Occasional Advisor

Thank you. Oracle software has 32-bit version running on 32 bit OS and 64-bit version runing on 64 bit OS. As far as I know, it is much more stable to run on 64 bit OS..