108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

hostname character limitatation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Frequent Advisor

hostname character limitatation

Hi Gurus,
can any one tell me whether 11.23 and 11.31 will support more tan 8 character hostnames
11 REPLIES 11
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Re: hostname character limitatation

I believe you can make a hostname larger than 8 characters....BUT the question might be Should you make it larger than 8 characters.

Other software may run into issues if you do, for example STM OnLine Diagnostics had an issue when the hostname was larger than 8 characters. You had go in and run a kctune a couple parms to allow for this as a work-around.

My point being, there is other software that too can have issues with long_hostnames.

Just my thoughts,
Rita
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

11.31 should.

goofy# kctune -v expanded_node_host_names
Tunable expanded_node_host_names
Description Enables expanded node and host names (read manpage for warnings)
Module sysconfig

Hakuna Matata.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

This just came up the other day (as it OFTEN does - you might try searching, you know). Take a look at this post and also at the Bill Hassell link I mentioned.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/host-name-issue-in-11-11/m-p/5269222#M472985

Pete

Pete
Frequent Advisor

Hi Alzhy,
Thanks for the reply. For 11iv2 any chance is there, From some where i heard that if we can install one bundle we can increase the characters in hostname as well as in node name.
Can any one help me in this regards
P Arumugavel
Respected Contributor

Hi,

In general, 11i v1 and v2 support maximum 8 characters in natural behaviour, and v3 supports more than 8 (255)...

Rgds...
Alzhy
Honored Contributor
Solution

Manix
Honored Contributor

Hello Laiju,

It`s possible for 11.23 & 31 to have extended
host names & node names as well but not for 11.11.

For 11.11 Bill says following :-

uname -n is NOT the hostname, it is the UUCP nodename and cannot be larger than 8 characters. The hostname and uname are (by default) set equal equal to each other, but there is a (poorly documented) way to specify a long hostname:

Edit the file: /etc/rc.config.d/netconf and locate the line:

HOSTNAME="goofy"

Add a new line:

NODENAME="goofy"

and change HOSTNAME to:

HOSTNAME="goofythegreat"

or whatever.

Now be sure to edit /etc/hosts to include the short uname and the long hostname (as well as the FQDN or fully qualified domain name) appear in /etc/hosts.

Then to avoid delays and problems with DNS, edit gthe /etc/nsswitch.conf file and change the hosts: line to read

hosts: files[NOTFOUND=continue UNAVAIL=continue] dns

This ensure high reliability (in case of a DNS failure) and low network load for unnecessary DNS requests.

Now your system is ready to reboot, but if you want to verify that all is well, you can make the changes by hand too:

uname -S goofy ( nodename )
hostname goofythegreat

Thnaks

Manix
HP-UX been always lovable - Mani Kalra
Sreer
Valued Contributor

Hi,

In 11.3 pls try

kctune expanded_node_host_names=1

by default value will be 0

after that I rebooted to take the change in effect.[even though its a dynamic value only!]
Frequent Advisor

Hi Alzhy,
From the link you given i installed the bundle, but after that also its not possible to change.