Operating System - Linux
1748051 Members
5213 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how can i share windows directories in linux?

Beginner_2
Occasional Advisor

how can i share windows directories in linux?

Hi,

If i want some directories to be shared in linux, how can i do that ? i expect steps which will help me to actually implement it.
I have red hat linux 5.

Thanks,
Rahul
7 REPLIES 7
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Do you want your Linux to be a server or a client? In other words, are you going to share _from_ Windows _to_ Linux or vice versa?

MK
MK
Beginner_2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for reply..

I want to share from windows to linux..

Regards,
Rahul

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Here's the procedure for accessing Windows shared directories in RHEL 5 GUI:

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Deployment_Guide/s1-samba-connect-share.html

Here's how to mount a Windows shared directory to Linux using the command line:

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Deployment_Guide/s1-samba-mounting.html

This document is primarily for SuSE Linux, but it has examples on how to add the Windows shared directory to /etc/fstab, to make the system mount it automatically:

http://opensuse.swerdna.org/susesambacifs.html

MK
MK
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

What kind of Windows Server?

Windows 2003 or WIndows 2008 (R2)?

Normally, you simply use smbfs or use smbclient to accomplish this:

smbclient /// -U -P

username of course follows WIndows std, "DOMAIN\username"

I asked what version of Windows (or Server) as there are certain versions of Samba that need to be at a specific rev to coexist with Windows Servers.

Hakuna Matata.
Beginner_2
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
I have Dual boot system on my personal laptop .
I have Windows XP and Red hat linux 5. I am not having any windows server.

Thanks,
Rahul
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Ahh,

So you want certain directories to be accessible between your Linux and Windows Desktop. By these shared directories you mean the common user directories containing Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, etc -- right?

And you want to do be able to access regardless what OS you're booted on right?

Regardless -- it should be easy.

1) If you can reinstall boot windows and linux, you can:

- allocate a "common" partition that is a drive on Windows and a mounted filesystem on Linux
- use FAT32 for that partition but you can also use ntfs
- under Linux, create a /etc/fstab entry to that partition
- optionally link your Linux HomeDir to said partition as wel as map yuor WIndows home environment tree to that drive so all your Docs, Videos, Pictures,Music, etc are your default storage.
- Having it this way your common docs will be accessible under Linux or Windows boot with commonality to storage of yur various file types.

2) If OSes are already existing

- free up space on whatever partition can give up space and create a common parition as described above
- use your favourite re-paritioning tools taking care not to break anything - there are many good tools out there
- do the maps and mounts and linkages as described above.

The HOWTO on how to mount and carve filesystems and rives etc I presume you already know under Wndows and Linux.

Cheers!

Hakuna Matata.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

If you don;t know HOWTO carve paritions and do the linkages and mounts -- then please Google "Dual Boot WIndows and Linux".

Some links will point you to how the above of having a common filesystem/drive is achieved. There are even YouTube vidoes explaining how it is done.

I have precisely the above setup. Regardless which OS I am booted on -- I have my common docs and files with me. MS Office documents that I can open and edit in Linux (OpenOffice) and Windows (MS Office). My Pictures/Photos and Music and Videos also are in their commonly accessible locations and playable/editable whther I am in my Linux (I use Ubuntu Studio or Mint) or WIndows 7 environment.

If you're a developer, same thing... you can have an IDE in Linux and WIndows with a common development tree.

Cheers!
Hakuna Matata.