New Discussion юеВ

how do I configure modem on hpux 10.10

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ram Kumar
Occasional Contributor

how do I configure modem on hpux 10.10

Hi,

how to configure a modem on HPUX 10.20 K570 server on a serial port ?
6 REPLIES 6
Jesper Sivertsen
Frequent Advisor

Re: how do I configure modem on hpux 10.10

Hi

You can do it from sam.

You maybe have to make changes to som files afterwards since the default setup is in 7 bit.
Check /etc/gettydefs
Jesper
All in unix is files
Devbinder Singh Marway
Valued Contributor

things to look for , find out which port the modem is plugged into. Decide whether you want the modem use to be dialing in and dialing out or one them. ( there is an option in SAM ( terminal modems) when setting up a modem. Decide the speed you want the modem to be set to this looks at the gettydefs file and make sure there is a relevant entry in here e.g. 19200 , 9600
if you want to create your own you can edit gettydefs and put your own setting in e.g. 96modem

An entry will be put in inittab file if modem is for dialling in then there will be a getty running against the port if dial out only then you will not see a getty running inittab entry will show off and not respawn.

If you want to connect to the modem you have to put an entry in the /etc/uucp/Devices file
e.g. Direct cul0p4 -19200 direct and then
cu -l cul0p4 ( you should get a connect and if you type in at it should respnd back with ok) However if this fails then check modem cable , modem settings , port)

Hope this helps .....
Seek and you shall find
Nikhil Mistry
Occasional Advisor

Hi Ram,
yes like Devbinder suggested that is perfact step by step.he deserve all credit
Hi Sandeep,
Manju Kampli
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Ram,

I have attached a modem configuration cookbook along with this. This also speaks about how to setup the hardware and also the cable pin configuration.
Hope this helps
Never stop "LEARNING"
Madhu Sudhan_1
Respected Contributor

Robert Early

Hi,
I followed the instructions given and I got as far as being able to connect from a remote computer. The login message is garbled however:
CONNECT 9600 V42bis
B????????

I tried changing the bit/parity settings on the client but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?