108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

how to change the login (Welcome msg) in TRU64

SOLVED
Go to solution
Francisco Cruz_1

how to change the login (Welcome msg) in TRU64

Hi:

how can i change the login welcome message in a TRU64 server, and to show date and time.

Thank You!

fcruz
7 REPLIES 7
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: how to change the login (Welcome msg) in TRU64

Francesco,

the text is in /etc/motd but it is a text only. Date and time you could place in /etc/profile of in the users .profile

greetings,

Michael
Francisco Cruz_1

Thank You Michael. I was hoping there was an easier way so that I do not have to modify the .profile for every user.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

As answerred before, /ect/motd is the place for static messages.

For dynamic messages, for all, just stick the processing in system profile: /etc/profile !?

per 'man ksh':

"read from /etc/profile and then from either .profile in the current directory or $HOME/.profile"

hth,
Hein.
Francisco Cruz_1

Heuvel:

Thank you!

You are right on the money.
Ross Minkov
Esteemed Contributor

Also don't forget that some users might not be using a login shell that reads /etc/profile. The content of /etc/motd will always be shown to everyone that logins to the system. /etc/profile is only effective for users that use bash, sh, ksh for their login shell. For example users that use csh or tcsh do not execute /etc/profile, but rather /etc/csh.login and /etc/csh.cshrc.

HTH,
Ross
Manish PATHAK_2
Regular Advisor

As your Initial problem is of welcome message i think the best way is by the motd only further .profile editing is the alternate for it

the solution suggested to edit it in /etc/profile amd then giving the referrence in the $home/.profile.

Cheers
Manish
Francisco Cruz_1

Thank you All!