108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

how to copy text and image on screen to a file

SOLVED
Go to solution
cys691018
Advisor

how to copy text and image on screen to a file

In hp-ux b10.20 ,can you tell me how to copy text and image on screen to a file?

For example, In xwindow, when i ran a program, i found many erros . But i don't know how to copy them into a file.
14 REPLIES 14
IT_2007
Honored Contributor

Re: how to copy text and image on screen to a file

If you running xwindow, open Text Editor in Xwindow. Select text you want to copy and simply click right button on Text Editor which you open and save. It will save on to your local system from where you launched xwindow (home directory).

To save Image,highlight the window which you want then alt-print screen and open Windows word and paste so that you would get the active screen.
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Hi,
in xwindows you can use the windows print screen(Shift + PrtSc) and then insert into word document. This takes an exact graphics copy of your screen.

Or select text etc. with mouse and then Edit-> Copy.

If you have access to your error producing program, perhaps you can redirect the output ?
e.g.
./executable > x.log 2>&1
KapilRaj
Honored Contributor

Using a digital camera, Take picture of the monitor. Connect the digicam to a pc and save the pic as a file :)

Good morning everybody :)

No points plzzz)
Nothing is impossible
cys691018
Advisor

Thanks. can you tell the name and path of text editor or word ?
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Hi Cys,

You can capture the error and everything from the screen by pressing "PrtSc" button , and then open a Mspaint window and press "ctrl+v" to paste the screen shot, and save it as jpeg.

Perhaps saving text may not work in all xwindow, but you can try ctl+v , Ctrl+c,

HTH,

Cheers,
Raj.
" If u think u can , If u think u cannot , - You are always Right . "
cys691018
Advisor

where is mspaint in hp-ux? I used Prtsc ,but no vain. I also used ctrl-c ,but I can't paste with ctrl-v either.
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Cys ,

We assumed that you have connected to the X-window using a windows PC.

Cheers,
Raj.
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

first - thanks god that there's no mspaint under hp-ux :-))

In hp-ux 10.20 I got a software 'screencapture', with this you can make a screenshot of your screen or a window or a part of it. The output is a TIFF file, that you can view - under hp-ux there's for example a sw 'imageview'.

To copy a text to a file - open two windows one with the text you want, in the other use the vi-editor - vi - press 'i' for input - mark the text in the other window and paste it with the middle mouse button in the editor window.

HTH
Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Hi Cys,

1. To capture text use:

# command 2>&1 output_file.txt

( This will redicrect standard error and standrard output to the output_file.txt

2. To capture image of xwindow , use "Xwd Capture" , i.e Xwindow Dump,

a) Click on the bottom icon ( 3rd icon from right hand side.), Application Manager --> desktop Tools ---> Click on "Xwd capture" --> Enter the file name you want to save the output.

b) You can view the file using any image viewere with xwd support .

* ) You can also use the command :
# xwd -out output_fil.xwd , And then click on the desired window.

(Viewer example: http://www.accessoryware.com/PictView.htm
http://www.accessoryware.com/Mediaview.htm )

NOTE: If you are connecting Xwindow from a Windows system , you can very well use the "PrtSc" to capture and can paste in any word document or mspaint application and can save as jpeg.

Hope this will help.

Cheers,
Raj.