Rajesh
5 REPLIES 5
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Re: how to find network load balance between 2 servers in hp-ux

couple of ways,

if you have network team, you can take help from them,

AFAIK

load balancing cannot be done without additional softwares.

Cluster / MC Service Guard will help fail-over the network on a standby card in case it detects "hardware interface down state" on the network card. But it cannot load balance the network cards.

APA is the solution. You can aggregate multiple cards as a single card. This way you will get loadbalancing and failover.

Both the products come with a price.

Look at the following document for details on APA

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/J4240-90016/J4240-90016.html
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
rajesh73
Super Advisor

thnaku johnson

sorry acutally i have one dba server(hp-ux hp rp4440) and one application server i want to how much data transfering between the servers.

what about tcpdump tool hp-ux
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

>acutally i have one dba server(hp-ux hp rp4440) and one application server i want to how much data transfering between the servers.

The servers are usually interconnected through a FO switch.

You should be able to connect to that switch and this would allow you the possibility to actually take a look at the traffic made through the ports that interconnects the two servers.

Best regards,
Horia.
Best regards from Romania,
Horia.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

If you want to use tcpdump, you can either take the version from the HP Internet Express bits (check software.hp.com) or from the Porting Archives - http://hpux.connect.org.uk/ - if you take the latter, I have found the "depothelper" tool to be, well, helpful :)

If you "know" that the vast majority of the traffic through either of the servers' NICs is to/from the other server, you could use lanadmin stats:

lanadmin -g mibstats

If you take two such snapshots, you can run them through "beforeafter" from ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking/tools to get stats over the interval between the two snapshots. (One can zero the lanadmin stats, but that is not always a good idea, and beforeafter can be used with other tools (and oses) where zeroing is not possible).
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
kenj_2
Advisor

If you have Glance on the systems, it has a Network by Interface screen that reports the pkts/sec and kbytes/sec for each NIC.

Ken