New Discussion юеВ

how to get OS when creating nPartitions on a superdome

SOLVED
Go to solution
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

how to get OS when creating nPartitions on a superdome

dear all,
I've got an 8 Cells superdome, and all Cells were in one partition. I plan to make three partitions on it, what I concern is how to install OS on those new partition, I've got licenses of MirrorDisk and MC ServiceGuard lost. Would it be possible that I create make_tape_recovery backup of present partition and recovery this backup to those new partitions when I finally create them? Would it be any thing else that I should pay attention to?

Thanks A Lot!
3 REPLIES 3
Turgay Cavdar
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: how to get OS when creating nPartitions on a superdome

Hi,
Some planning is needed about creating npars on superdome. You should read the two document first : 1-)User Service Guide, Sixth Edition - HP Integrity Superdome/sx2000 and HP9000/sx2000 Servers
2-)nPartition Administrator's Guide, Second Edition
You can find the pdfs:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodClassId=-1&contentType=SupportManual&docIndexId=64255&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1844079

For hp-ux installation you can use Hp-ux installation DVDs, you can also restore from make_net_recovery tape but in this case you can install softwares only in the recovery tape.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Well you could do that, but do you have a tape connected to each IO chassis that will be in the new nPars?
I would suggest you create an Ignite server, either on another server or on the exisiting boot disk, and when you decrease the partition size and rebot it to take effect, you can then boot the new nPars from that and install across the lan

My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

turgay and melvyn,
thank you for your quick and helpful reply!
welll of course I would present needed io chassis for each partition I would create, so, since I could install OS using the backup tape of present partition, it is ok for my plan.