4210 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to handel performance issue

ani007
Super Advisor

how to handel performance issue

Hi Experts,
I want to know if some one (from application/DBA team) say that server is too slow.which things i need to check ..step by step..I know Glance..Please write me in details.
Regards,
Ani
11 REPLIES 11
Jayakrishnan G Naik
Trusted Contributor

Hi Ani

Performance issues needs lot of checks with which you should identify and isolate the actual bottleneck. Performance issue can be anything - a cpu bottleneck, memory bottleneck, disk bottleneck, a network bottleneck or anything else.

Diferrent bottle necks have different solutions and as an initial step you need to perform various checks to find what is actually going on on the system. The basic commands to the advanced tools can be used for this

You can use the following commands to check and find what is the real cause and the solution depends on the findings.

uptime or w
sar

swapinfo
vmstat
ipcs
kmeminfo tool

glance/gpm

sar is a very useful tool among the above which is having many options that helps to check various resources in a system.

The man pages will really help you to find more on this.

Thanks & Regards
Jayakrishnan G Naik

Laurent Menase
Honored Contributor

just a remark about kmeminfo. it is an internal support restricted tool which should only used on HP support request.
ani007
Super Advisor

#UPTIME
if the load avg is showing high what i have to do

#swapinfo
#vmstat
which fields i need to check..
suppose from glance I chk that memory is showing very high then what i have to do .
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

#swapinfo -tam

check your total utilization. Is it high?

#vmstat

You need to check it for few interval

Let's say

#vmstat 2 5

There you need to check pi and po fields for paging.

Read man pages for more details.
Regards
Shibin
Jayakrishnan G Naik
Trusted Contributor

Hi Ani,

If you have high load averages in uptime output, you can probably check which are the processes utilizing high cpu cycles. You can use top to find the running processes taking more cpu cycles and see what improvements you can do there. I cannot point to one thing here as we are assuming the issues. What ever changes we should decide on should be depending on the requirement. For example If you face high cpu usage on a vpar and you can probably go for adding unbound cpus online.

Similarly if swapinfo output shows a high percent of swap usage, it shows you need more physical memory. vmstat, sar and swapifo commands have options to check the memory usage, and you can use top also.

You can use glance plus/gpm to have some graphical statistics.

Depending on the issues, the solutions to fix performance issues may be tuning some kernel parameters/network parameters, Increasing physical memory, stopping and removing unwanted programmes etc(reduce the kernel size by disabling unwanted modules) etc.

High disk io issues may need a change in disk layout, say use striping (lvmpvg) instead of using a normal lv, planning additional swap on a least used disk, etc.
Some times you may need to move one lv to another pv as the current pv having many highly used lv/filesystems.

Regards
jayakrishnan G Naik.

rick jones
Honored Contributor

If performance analysis could be reduced to a set of step-by-step instructions to follow by rote then there would be a plethora of tuning programs out there automagically tuning systems.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

I'm rith Rick on this one.

Ani>> ..Please write me in details.

The details have been writtin.
In books like "HP-UX Tuning and Performance, Sauers & Weygant.
http://www.amazon.com/HP-UX-11i-Tuning-Performance-2nd/dp/0131433490
(and other places)

And there are valueable white-papers like the tuning guide by Stephen Ciullo
http://docs.hp.com/en/1219/tuningwp.html

Both are slightly dated, but more whitepapers can fill in the details... once you know roughly where you should aim.

If it were easy they wouldn't call it work!

Good luck,
Hein van den Heuvel
HvdH Performance Consulting
ani007
Super Advisor

HI ALL,
Thank you so much..
jayakrishnan ,"High disk io issues may need a change in disk layout, say use striping (lvmpvg) instead of using a normal lv"--How to do this LV striping ?

Hein van den Heuvel
"http://docs.hp.com/en/1219/tuningwp.html
"--Link is very useful..if you have any other please share...

Regards,
Ani
muruganantham raju
Valued Contributor

Ani,
glance is the best tool to monitor system performance.

(1)Run /opt/perf/bin/glance - You will get the list of processes in the order of cpu utilization. Look for the processes with high cpu utilization values. The processes with heavy cpu util values causes performance bottleneck in the system.

(2) Run glance -m to get the memory utilization in the system. Check how much memory being utilized and how is free. Also see the swap memory utilization values. If the system memory utilization is more than say 90% and swap is also considerably used, it signals memory bottleneck. ofcourse it causes the server to become very slow. Again using glance process screen you can get individual process memory utilization values. Look for processes that consumes huge memory or leaking memory continuouly.

There is no one step solution for performance bottlenecks. Based on the issue you can take multiple actions. Like tunning the system kernel parameters, Changing system swap configuration, Stopping the heavy load processes (if necessary), Increasing system disk space etc.