New Discussion юеВ

how to load hangcheck-timer module in LINUX 4.8

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jojo Castro
Regular Advisor

how to load hangcheck-timer module in LINUX 4.8

Hi,

Im setting up a RAC on LINUX 4.8 for 10G R2 DB.
As a pre-req, i must load hangcheck-timer on kernel. Unfortunately Im getting a problem loading a hangcheck-timer. My command is

insmod hangcheck-timer hangcheck_tick=30 hangcheck_margin=180

And getting this error.

insmod: can't read 'hangcheck-timer': No such file or directory

Can any body know how to solve this problem?

Appreciate response.

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: how to load hangcheck-timer module in LINUX 4.8

Does the "hangcheck-timer.ko" module exist on your system? ("find /lib/modules -name hangcheck-timer.ko")

What's your kernel version? (Please show the "uname -a" output.)

http://www.rampant-books.com/art_hunter_rac_oracle%20linux_hangcheck_kernel_module.htm

MK
MK
Jojo Castro
Regular Advisor

/lib/modules/2.6.9-89.EL/kernel/drivers/char/hangcheck-timer.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.9-89.ELsmp/kernel/drivers/char/hangcheck-timer.ko

uname -a
Linux PPCSG-RAC1 2.6.9-89.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Apr 20 10:34:33 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

OK, so the module is there and matches your current kernel version.

Try using the "modprobe" command instead of "insmod": i.e.

modprobe hangcheck-timer hangcheck_tick=30 hangcheck_margin=180

Or if you must use insmod for some reason, specify the complete pathname of the module file: i.e.

insmod /lib/modules/2.6.9-89.ELsmp/kernel/drivers/char/hangcheck-timer.ko hangcheck_tick=30 hangcheck_margin=180

Insmod is a very old and primitive command; modprobe is the newer, more user-friendly version. Modprobe will automatically know the path to the standard module directories and automatically searches for a module there so that you don't have to type the full path (or be in the correct directory). Modprobe also "knows" if a module requires some other module to be loaded first, and automatically loads that for you.

The only reason to use insmod instead of modprobe would be if you're specifically trying to load a module from a non-standard location: for example, if you're debugging a kernel module and have just compiled a modified version and want to test it.

MK
MK
Jojo Castro
Regular Advisor

Hi Matti, now i know the reason why are you expert in this area. Hangcheck timer successfully loaded

lsmod |grep hangcheck
hangcheck_timer 7897 0

Also included the line options hangcheck-timer hangcheck_tick=30 hangcheck_margin=180
on /etc/modprobe.conf since this will be a permanent set-up. As for what if the systems reboot, i also included the line /sbin/modprobe hangcheck-timer on /etc/rc.d/rc.local. Can you verify if all this procedures are correct? Thanks!
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Those procedures look OK to me.

MK
MK