108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

how to make a file write-able but not modifiable through editor

Muhammad Ahmad
Frequent Advisor

how to make a file write-able but not modifiable through editor

Hi,

Good Day!

i wanna make .sh_history secure, like the user can't modify this file by means of any text editor or through other ways like echo output redirection commands, the purpose behind the scene is to maintain the integrity of user's command history file.

Any idea?

-Br
-Muhammad Ahmad
9 REPLIES 9
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

Re: how to make a file write-able but not modifiable through editor

you can use chatr command to change the internal attribute

#man chatr
a warrior never quits
Ivan Krastev
Honored Contributor

chatr is for programs/libraries.

On Linux you can do it with chatr, but i don't know something similar under HP-UX.

regards,
ivan
VK2COT
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Did you try setacl (similar to setfacl for
Linux and Solaris)?

Cheers,

VK2COT
VK2COT - Dusan Baljevic
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

You can't do this. If the shell can write to the file so can the user.

If you want to monitor what users do, you'll have to use a different tool.
Elmar P. Kolkman
Honored Contributor

I guess there is a way: after the shell is started, move the history file to a directory that is not accessible by the user... Since the shell has the file already open, it will keep on writing, but the user cannot access the file.

I haven't tried, but it should work... It's like removing the syslog.log file without triggering the syslogd to re-create the file... It will keep on writing to the deleted file.
Every problem has at least one solution. Only some solutions are harder to find.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Elmar: Since the shell has the file already open, it will keep on writing, but the user cannot access the file.

I'm not sure this will work if you create a new shell by invoking a script. It is going to want to use $HISTFILE, which isn't there.
Elmar P. Kolkman
Honored Contributor

No problem... It will just create a new one ;-)
Every problem has at least one solution. Only some solutions are harder to find.
PW HP-UX Support Team
Frequent Advisor

You can always install the B1 version of Unix and all your file level security problems will go away !~)

TTr
Honored Contributor

The .sh_history (or whatever $HISTFILE is set to) is NOT a command security tool, it is just that a "command history" for the user. The shell that writes to it IS running as the same user so in order to move it to a nonaccissible area, you have to have an SUID script/command doit as part of the login profile. And this will only make a copy of it each time the user logs in and a new one will be started in the default location.
To complicate the scenario think on what would happen if a user logged in on several different concurrent or overlapping sessions.
In any case a smart user can purge or delete the history file during the shell and as they log out so there is nothing left to look at. Or they can unset the HISTFILE as soon as they login.
Bottom line is don't rely on the history file for investigative work on your users.
Look into trusted system and user accounting setups for user command tracking.