Operating System - HP-UX
1753797 Members
6767 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

how to modify the root account (changing its home dir)

SOLVED
Go to solution
newa
Frequent Advisor

how to modify the root account (changing its home dir)

Hi

I wanted to change the home directory for the root accout from "/" to "/roothome"

I used usermod as follows and got a complaint:

$ id
uid=200(newa) gid=300(sa)
$ sudo /usr/sbin/usermod -m -d /roothome root
Login root is currently in use

All ideas on how to work around this?

Thanks a lot in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
newa
Frequent Advisor

Re: how to modify the root account (changing its home dir)

I know I can edit the /etc/passwd file ... but I prefer use "usermod" command if possible. Let me know if you don't think it's possible.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

Use 'vipw' ... which is 'vi' wrapped with some lock protection for modifying the '/etc/password' file and some validity checking to make sure you do really mangle it.

Regards!

...JRF...
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

This is much simpler using vi. Use these command:

mkdir /roothome
chmod 750 /roothome
chown root:sys /roothome
sudo vipw

Then edit the first line where the root user is listed and change :/: to :/roothome:
and save the result.

Now leave your current window open and start another window to login as root. If you can't login as root directly, you can probably use this:

sudo su - root

and that should login a new session. Then type pwd to verify your new $HOME directory. Now you can move all files in / to /roothome. Be sure to move (mv) the dot-files and dot-directories (/.profile, /.exrc, /.ssh, /Mail, etc) to /roothome. The / directory should only have directories, no files.

Now your system may have been compromised by unknowledgeable sysadmins or bad applications that stored files in /...you'll have to move those back as you discover them. Ideally you can get the error fixed so the application still works OK.

As all seasoned syadmins will tell you, / is never the right place for root's home, so /root or /roothome is a good choice.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
newa
Frequent Advisor

Did it. Thanks a lot