New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to mount floppy disk on rescue mode

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gary L
Super Advisor

how to mount floppy disk on rescue mode

Hi

One of my Redhat linux box down, I wanna cp some data from floppy disk to local disk on rescue mode.
how to mount floppy disk on rescue mode and copy file from floppy disk to local disk.
All files have been installed to /mnt/sysimage on redhat rescue mode. how to do it?
thanks
14 REPLIES 14
Gary L
Super Advisor

whether I should run #chroot /mnt/sysimage first on rescue mode?
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

not truly necessary to chroot /mnt/sysimage. But I probably would. Then mount /dev/floppy to some mount point.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Gary L
Super Advisor

Hi Court

Thanks for your reply.
Would you please give me details of how to mount the floppy disk and check and copy floppy files to redhat linux box local disk like /tmp.
/dev no floppy file and /mnt/floppy is empty.
Gary L
Super Advisor

According as http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_35_419.shtm

I tried:
# mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

through check # ls /mnt/floppy, those files aren't the files that floppy disk.
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

just

mkdir /mnt/fd0

mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/fd0

mount /dev/floppy is usually a symlink to /dev/fd0, or whatever the device file for your floppy is. once mounted you us the cp command to copy the file(s) from /mnt/fd0 to /tmp.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Gary L
Super Advisor

Hi Court

According as your method and steps, I have mounted the floppy disk to /mnt/fd0
but, through check /mnt/fd0, those data aren't the data of floppy disk.
with # floppy -p I could found my floppy is /dev/fd0 3.5'HD.
but with command #strings /dev/fd0 I found the data in the fd0 not the data of my floppy disk.
so, fd0 wrong, mnt/fd0 wrong too.
so what happied of my /dev/fd0.
BTW, my server is HP Proland Blade server, i used virtual Floppy drive, but I am sure I connect the desktop A: as linux BOX floppy device.
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

did you chroot /mnt/sysimage? that may be where the problem lies. I guess I would just do this. boot linux rescue, then

# mkdir /floppy
# mount /dev/fd0 /floppy
# ls /floppy

see if the directory listing is correct. then you would have to copy the files to /mnt/sysimage/tmp/.
Gary L
Super Advisor

Hi court

Yes, I have run #chroot /mnt/sysimage
and according as your above steps, mkdir and mount /dev/fd0 to mount point. But in rescue mode maybe different with normal mode. the /dev/fd0 file through checked with command strings /dev/fd0, wrong data in the /dev/fd0, I have no idea why it like this, I have inserted another floppy disk into floppy disk "driver" (used "HP iLO", as we know, we used virtual floppy). but /dev/fd0 probably didn't link to floppy disk. so I could not mount correct data to /mnt/floppy.
How to fix it or do u have another method transfer some 1.3 MB data to a linux box that running in rescue mode?
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

OK I see know. It more than likely has to do with the ILO. I am not sure what device file that would map to. Well if you selected to have a network connection you could try using scp or something of the sort to transfer files to your machine. or if you have an nfs server you could mount and exported nfs directory.