New Discussion юеВ

how to present disk in Linux 5.5 from MSA2000fc without rebooting OS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Aungshuman Paul
Regular Advisor

how to present disk in Linux 5.5 from MSA2000fc without rebooting OS

Hi,

We have 2 NODE Oracle 11gr2 RAC database. Our database is created in ASM disk. Oracle has a feature that we can add new disk for extend the database size without shutting down the database.

We already present 4 disk each size is 250 GB to this 2 database node. But the disk is not known by the kernel. Previously we solved this problem by rebooting the server. But as the database is in production we want to omit reboot the system.

SO please help me how can I find the disk from OS. I know ioscan command in HP-UX which will re-read the I/O device and present the disk.

Is there any command in Linux like ioscan in HPUX that help me for present the disk?

Early response is highly appreciable.

Aungshu
3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: how to present disk in Linux 5.5 from MSA2000fc without rebooting OS

Please see RedHat's Online Storage Reconfiguration Guide:

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Online_Storage_Reconfiguration_Guide/index.html

The necessary commands are described in chapter 9, "Scanning Storage Interconnects".

NOTE: using the "issue_lip" will cause a short break on the FibreChannel connection. If your MSA is not multi-pathed, try the scanning procedure first:

echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host/scan

If that is enough to make the disk visible in your case, avoid issue_lip.

If you have multipathed FC connections, you can use issue_lip... just do it on one HBA at a time, and wait awhile to make sure the path has recovered before moving on to the next HBA.

MK
MK
Aungshuman Paul
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the post. As per this document The sg3_utils package provides the rescan-scsi-bus.sh script. But I did not find this RPM in my system. Can you help me where I will find this RPm for my RHEL 5.5.

Customer an active subscription for RHEL. WIll they find this RPM in RHN ?

Also if possible please help me by posing an sample action plan for this online storage rescanning.
Aungshu
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Download the Linux Fibre Channel Enablement Kit for RHEL 5.3/5.4/5.5, SLES 10 SP3 and SLES 11. It contains the utilities to rescan the bus

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=co-82357-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!