1753276 Members
4848 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to run script

arupdas
Occasional Advisor

how to run script

1. Is there any table or location where the present routing table(netstat -nr) or information has been stored.
3. I am non root user so no root priviledge with my account. I want to run a script at system startup. So, is it possible to run the script ?
7 REPLIES 7
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

1) The routing table is usually stored in the kernel on most operating systems.

3) You can ask root for this. You can also add an entry in your profile to execute a script when you log on.

where is 2) ?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
arupdas
Occasional Advisor

1. Mention the path !!
2. If i logging the system many times it will start many instances of that script. This is the reason for not using profile to run script.

If there any way please describe step by step.

Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

by means of the question, if you mean where the static routes are configured at the startup time, the formal answer is, "in /etc/rc.config.d/netconf file", but this may not be it. I have seen some poorly written applications, which put a "route add..." command, into their startup scripts, which is as effective as the formal method, but I highle frown upon this, when it is time to troubleshoot something related to networking, such as a firewall change or similar. If you are looking for the currently running network configuration and related routing tables, "netstat -rn" or "netstat -rnv" (latter gives you the netmasks for the network routes) is the only way to obtain it.

3. If you do not have root privilege, you can not modify the startup scripts. Otherwise unix would be the best platform to attack for script kiddies. Ask your sysadmin to put up a script to startup an application at the system boot time, if it is legitimate. Otherwise if you are trying to slip one without anyone noticing, giving you some sort of advantage, shame on you :)

Answer to your Q3
in your .profile, you insert a block like this

MYSCRIPT=
ps -ef | grep -q "$MYSCRIPT"; r=${?}
if [ ${r} -ne 0 ]
then
nohup
&
else
echo "${MYSCRIPT} is already running"
fi

this will launch your script if it is not running somewhere in the memory, and if it is running, it will not start a second instance but just give you the message it is already running.

hope this helps

> I am non root user
If you are not a root user, what are you doing working on network routes?

> netstat -nr

/usr/bin/netstat has -r-xr-sr-x permissions. Why can you not run it as a regualr user?
If someone changed the permissions, you can ask to change them back or you can ask your root to install sudo and allow you to run the command when you need it.
arupdas
Occasional Advisor

You take this query as a gathering information not for problem .
For monitoring netstat -nr is working i know....
TTr
Honored Contributor