New Discussion юеВ

how to start sendmail in hp-ux

SOLVED
Go to solution
senthil_kumar_1
Super Advisor

how to start sendmail in hp-ux

Hi

I want to find whether sendmail is running or not, so i issued following command.

root@lghp239:/root > ps -ef | grep sendmail
root 732 1 0 Oct 31 ? 6:51 sendmail: rejecting connections on port 25: load average: 62

what it "sendmail:rejecting connections" means.

how to start sendmail.

6 REPLIES 6
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

Re: how to start sendmail in hp-ux

Have a look at your /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file and search for 'Load'.

You will see a documentation section in the file titled "Refuse-Connections Load Average (option RefuseLA):".

To see how this is configured on your system now, search for 'RefuseLA' in the sendmail.cf file. If the line looks like:

#O RefuseLA=12

then you are probably using a built-in default value.

If the line looks like:

O RefuseLA=15

Then the load average at which sendmail will start refusing connections is 15. The value could be any number you choose.

If having sendmail refusing connections is a real problem, you probably really need to look into why the load average was so high to begin with.
"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

In your case the load average seems to be high
Reduce the load average on the server and you won't get this rejected ..
"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

I agree with Ravinish.
When it's refusing connections do a

ps -ef | grep sendmail

to get the PID - 732 - in this case.

Then do

ps -ef | grep 732 | wc -l to see how many children the parent - 732 - has spawned.
If that equals/exceeds the RefuseLA value that would explain the rejecting state.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
senthil_kumar_1
Super Advisor

Hi

I edited the file "/etc/mail/sendmail.cf"

o/p: #O RefuseLA=12

# ps -ef | grep 732 | wc -l

o/p: 3

how to solve this problem.
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor
Solution

OK - I think then your next step would be to run up top or glance to see whether you've exhausted memory and/or swap. Could even be that you've reached the NPROC max & can't fork anything until the PID count falls.

Dos a ps -ef | wc -l and compare that to the NPROC value which you can check with

kmtune -q nproc

But of course, IF you've hit the NPROC limit you may not be able to run anything until you kill some PIDs.

Check your syslog - anytime your hit a kernel parm limit it should get logged. You should also check your mail log - it could/should tell you exactly what's going on.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

Please post the following output here.

# top
# vmstat 2 2
# swapinfo -tam
# sar -Mu 2 2
# sar -d 2 2
# ipca -ma