1752635 Members
6242 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to use frecover to restore *.fb file to desired path

yakub.dba.architect
Occasional Contributor

how to use frecover to restore *.fb file to desired path

I have some files that are named that I need to recover using frecover to a different path instead of the path of which it had be frecovered. Please describe how to use :
frecover -xvN -f filename1.fb to a different/desired physical path.
The filesystem of which it had been recovered does not exist on this server, I only have the available space to move it to a different path.

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
P Muralidhar Kini
Honored Contributor

Hi yakub,

Check the following link for frecover -
http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90691/frecover.1M.html

Use the options corresponding to specying the Path for recovery.
Check out the options such as -I, -V and so on.

Also, from your forum profile
>> I have assigned points to 0 of 11 responses to my questions.
Check the following link which says how to thank the forum -
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28

Regards,
Murali
Let There Be Rock - AC/DC
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> frecover -xvN -f filename1.fb

The man page is very helpful here. -x restores selected files but back to the original directory -- use -X. -N is a verify test and restores nothing. -f is the name of the tape drive (or perhaps an fbackup format file). Assuming your tape is /dev/rmt/0m:

frecover -Xv -f /dev/rmt/0m -i filename1.fb

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
yakub.dba.architect
Occasional Contributor

My recovery file name is dumps.fb.

as such, I've tried:
frecover -xvr -f dumps.fb

I get the following error message:
frecover (3205): specified options are mutually exclusiver.

Pleas advise. Thanks
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> frecover -xvr -f dumps.fb

> I get the following error message:
frecover (3205): specified options are mutually exclusiver.

Yes, the options -x and -r are mutually exclusive (they cannot be used together). Is there a reason that you did not use my example? Your example has nothing to restore. In my previous example, just change the device filename to your fbackup filename:

frecover -Xv -f dumps.fb -i filename1.fb

It would really help if you read the frecover man page so you can learn about each option.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
yakub.dba.architect
Occasional Contributor

Bill,

Thanks for your assistance. The file that I need to recover is not on tape. I just have the dumps.fb file to recover. Yes, I've reviewed the man page on frecover, my interpretation/understanding is that I must restore the files to its original path. No problem there. I'm just trying to get the flags correct.

frecover -xv -f dumps.fb
restores the dumps.fb to the current directory and creates the physical path from the current directory.

What if I need to recover dumps.fb to its original path and the dumps.fb file is not on tape? Thanks
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> The file that I need to recover is not on tape. I just have the dumps.fb file to recover.

Yes, I understand that. The -f option is followed by the fbackup file -- whether the file is dumps.db or a tape called /dev/rmt/0m

> Yes, I've reviewed the man page on frecover, my interpretation/understanding is that I must restore the files to its original path.

Not true at all. You probably did not notice that there are two -x -X options. Please read the description for -X.

> frecover -xv -f dumps.fb
> restores the dumps.fb to the current directory and creates the physical path from the current directory.

The command you listed above will restore every file back to the original directory. Unix (unlike other operating systems) recognizes that Xx are two different characters.

> What if I need to recover dumps.fb to its original path and the dumps.fb file is not on tape? Thanks

You already have that answer:

frecover -xv -f dumps.fb

-f is nothing but the identification of the source file. If you want to restore all the files to another directory, do this:

cd /someplace
frecover -Xv -f dumps.fb

If you want just one file restored to a different directory:

cd /someplace
frecover -xv -f dumps.fb -i /fullpath/to/myfile

Bill Hassell, sysadmin