6551 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: howto get rid of NO_HW?

DuKul
Regular Advisor

howto get rid of NO_HW?

Hello all,
I have the server with two FC adapters (HP Tachyon XL2). There has been the SAN switches change.
After the change some FCP Domain devices stayed in NO_HW (I think these items in ioscan output represents the old switches...) Everything is working well, but I would like to get rid of the NO_HW status in ioscan output without reboot.
These items (FCP Domain) have no special files associated, only FC adapter have.
My idea is to use rmsf to remove the special file and HW information for one of the FC adapters with all his children and then recreate the special files and HW info again with inssf. I suppose that the data will flow through the second FC adapter so no data flow interruption will be observed....
I have never done such a sequence before, neither I am sure about this idea, so that is why I am asking for your opinion/experience whether or not it would help.
Best regards
Dusan
18 REPLIES 18
siva0123
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

insf -e
ioscan -fn

Should help you.

Thanks,
Siva
DuKul
Regular Advisor

Hi Shiva,
I doubt that because the insf -e would help because it only reinstalls the special files if some of them were removed and they are there.
But the switches mentioned are NOT there.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi,

2 possibilities:

1) reboot the server

2) perform a "rmsf -k -H" followed by the hw-path of the removed devices

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
SANTOSH S. MHASKAR
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Yes u can remove the device files using rmsf,

first probe for devices

# ioscan -fn|more

note the HW_PATH of items having NO_HW state.

then

# rmsf -H

u can create device files for newly probed
devices.

# insf -e

TO get the rid of NO_HW u have to reboot the system.

-Santosh
DuKul
Regular Advisor

Please,
as I have already written:
- the FCP Domain interface has NO special file so it CANNOT be removed using -H option

The question is about the idea written above...
DuKul
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

As Torsten replied, you have two options. Either reboot or "rmsf -k -H "

"rmsf -k -H" does not remove device special files, it removes the definition of the devices attached to the hw patch from the system... so you wouldn't see it in ioscan.

This doesn't remove all devices, but you can try it before you decide to reboot.

-denver
DuKul
Regular Advisor

For example
# rmsf -v -k -H 0/4/0/0.7.17.255.0
rmsf: Specified hardware path has no devices

This command would be successful only if the HW would have its special file. So this lead me again to only one possibility how to remove those ugly children - to rmsf its parent = the FC adapter which has the special file:

fc 0 0/4/0/0 td CLAIMED INTERFACE HP Tachyon XL2 Fibre Channel Mass Storage Adapter
/dev/td0

And my question is whether or not would be such an approach safe (because I suppose the data flow will continue using the second FC adapter).....
...or if such an approach would even lead to removing the HW information of its ugly children.

DuKul
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

It depends on how your volume manager was setup and if you have any mutlipathing product installed...

If you have LVM configured with PV Links, then it shouldn't be a problem. However, there's no need to do this. If you run rmsf -k -H , then it will remove all devices attached to that HBA _except_ for things like fcp domain, fcp array, and ext_bus. Those won't be removed. You'd have to reboot the box to clean those up. It will remove disk, target and ctl class devices. Which you've probably already done.

You can post your ioscan output as an attachment if you want us to look it over.

-denver
DuKul
Regular Advisor

Hi Denver,
no, it is no need to put an ioscan output.
I would like to remove exactly the items fcp domain and ext_bus, which you are staying that they cannot be removed....and I do not like the reboot....
DuKul