108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

hp-snmp-agents and required config data

SOLVED
Go to solution
Don Vanco - Linux Ninja
Regular Advisor

hp-snmp-agents and required config data

Can anyone detail the required "answers" for the PSP/support pack for the HP SNMP agents?

If it doesn't get the info it requires, it starts to flood the logs....

In typical HP fashion, the docs offer nothing other than to show me the input data I can already see - no explanation on what the possible answers are, or how to disable a given a option (if it's possible)

CMALOCALHOSTRWCOMMSTR This parameter enables you to specify an SNMP read/write community string for local host access.

Q: Do I /have/ to have this?? I don't do anything on the localhost to access traps.... so how do I turn this off?

CMALOCALHOSTROCOMMSTR This parameter enables you to specify an SNMP read-only community string for local host access.

Q: same as above

CMAMGMTSTATIONRWIPORDNS This parameter enables you to specify the IP address or DNS host name of a system with read/write access to serve as a management station. You can specify multiple locations separated by a space.

Q: so this is a "trap destination"?? Or what?

CMAMGMTSTATIONRWCOMMSTR This parameter enables you to specify an SNMP read/write community string for a system with read/write access that serves as a management station. You can specify multiple strings separated by a space.

Q: same as above - is it me, or is this exactly the same question over again?? What is this intended to be??

CMAMGMTSTATIONROIPORDNS This parameter enables you to specify the IP address or DNS host name of a system with read-only access to serve as a management station. You can specify multiple locations separated by a space.

Q: Again, is this a standard trap destination (read only)?

CMAMGMTSTATIONROCOMMSTR This parameter enables you to specify an SNMP read/write community string for a system with read-only access that serves as a management station. You can specify multiple strings separated by a space.

Q: WHAT system??? The one named above? If so - WHICH of the 2 read/write hosts named above???

CMADEFTRAPCOMMSTR This parameter enables you to set a default SNMP community string for traps.

Q: Meaning what? I can have all traps sent as r/w or r/o???

CMATRAPDESTINATIONCOMMSTR This parameter enables you to specify the SNMP destination trap community string.

Q: Again, of the above "named" hosts, what am I pointing at?????

CMATRAPDESTINATIONIPORDNS This parameter enables you to specify the IP address or DNS host name of a server as a destination for SNMP traps, such as Systems Insight Manager.

Q: OK - so this is the THIRD opportunity to name a trap destination????

Obviously I am not the sharpest SNMP-trap knife in the drawer, but this is obfuscation to the Nth degree. Can HP make this any more confusing??

Anyone with some straight-forward pointers please post-up. If there's a doc on this package I've not been able to find it, so again, pointers appreciated.

TIA
Don
2 REPLIES 2
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: hp-snmp-agents and required config data

What are you describing? These look like variables in someone's shell script.

The management agents need a read/write community string to be established for localhost in order to operate completely.

HP SIM needs a read-only community string; it never performs writes over the wire.

If you use 'hpasm reconfigure' you will be prompted through all of this. You also may want to check "Managing ProLiant Servers with Linux" from http://www.hp.com/go/proliantlinux --> More Linux Documentation.
Don Vanco - Linux Ninja
Regular Advisor

Re: hp-snmp-agents and required config data

David wrote:
>What are you describing? These look like variables in someone's shell script.

Yes - it's from the hp-snmp-agents package, and is the syntax that can be placed in an "answers" file for the installation of that package. Further, it's the same fields you'll need to configure if you install the PSP in GUI mode....

> If you use 'hpasm reconfigure' you will be prompted through all of this.

Okeedokee.

> You also may want to check "Managing ProLiant Servers with Linux"

Ah - perfect. I had an older version (HP doesn't change the doc number when they rev). This version has a bit more detail.

Thanks!