Operating System - HP-UX
1753774 Members
6958 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp-ux 11.31 show "real" memory usage?

SOLVED
Go to solution
boje
Regular Advisor

hp-ux 11.31 show "real" memory usage?

Hi!

We use cacti to view system usage on our machines. Cacti shows that almost all memory is used by the system. We have 96GB of RAM in one machine and only one SAP system running on that machine. top shows the same amount of RAM usage as cacti. But someone told me that the hp-ux 11.31 os is not letting go of the memory before it is used. How could i know how much memory is really used? I have just moved this SAP system from a 11.23 machine with 40GB RAM, and it was fine on that. Why is top showing that almost all memory is used? It is the same on my other new 11.31 machines.

Br
Patrik
25 REPLIES 25
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

It wouldn't the output of top to determine memory usage. What does "swapinfo -tam" show?

>Why is top showing that almost all memory is used?

Using all of memory is a good thing.
What have you configured for filecache_max(5)?
boje
Regular Advisor

Hi!

This is the results:
filecache_max 49032728576 Default Auto

: swapinfo -tam
Mb Mb Mb PCT START/ Mb
TYPE AVAIL USED FREE USED LIMIT RESERVE PRI NAME
dev 8192 0 8192 0% 0 - 1 /dev/vg00/lvol2
dev 48000 0 48000 0% 0 - 2 /dev/vg00/lvol10
reserve - 49188 -49188
memory 93523 11604 81919 12%
total 149715 60792 88923 41% - 0 -

I know swap is not enough. But it should not swap anything. The goal is that non swapspace should be used.

Br
Patrik
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Use kmeminfo tool to see the physical memory usage system and user process wise..
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
boje
Regular Advisor

Hi!

How do i get the kmemtool fro hp-ux 11.31?

Br
Patrik
Fabio Ettore
Honored Contributor

Hi,

kmeminfo could be downloaded from here:

ftp://eh:spear9@hprc.external.hp.com

You have to download toolset.64bit.exe. When executing that you'll have kmeminfo tool.

Best regards,
Fabio
WISH? IMPROVEMENT!
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>reserve - 49188 -49188
>memory 93523 11604 81919 12%
>total 149715 60792 88923 41%
>I know swap is not enough.

Why do you say that? You have plenty of memory (pseudo-swap), you don't need device swap.

>But it should not swap anything. The goal is that non swapspace should be used.

Exactly. It appears that when you did swapinfo, you weren't under memory pressure that you first mentioned.

boje
Regular Advisor

Hi Dennis!

i only say so because everyone is talking about swap should be double the memory. But i do not understand why, because you do not want the machine to swap at all.

How do i read the swapinfo -tam right? to understand if memory is under pressure? As i said before the top command shows only 3,7GB of free ram.

Br
Patrik
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>i only say so because everyone is talking about swap should be double the memory. But i do not understand why, because you do not want the machine to swap at all.

Exactly. If you read similar issues in the forum you'll see the experts poo-poo that double the memory cliche. Especially if you have 100 Gb.

>How do I read the swapinfo -tam right? to understand if memory is under pressure?

swapinfo shows only 12% of memory being used now.
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

swapinfo will not show anything related to physical memory usage. It will display the swap space details. The memory column in swapinfo is not the physical memory usage which people misinterpret. It is pseduo swap which is part of physical memory.

If you really want to know the physical memory usage use kmeminfo tool or glance.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.