Operating System - HP-UX
1753774 Members
7168 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp-ux 11.31 show "real" memory usage?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You should use the latest version of kmeminfo tool. The output which you provided is not the actual one.

Not possible to come to a conclusion with this output. But from my experience kmeminfo is the great tool to analyse physical memory usage.

You can get the tool from HP if you could contact them.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Don Morris_1
Honored Contributor

No -- you know that you have 3Gb laying around idle that another SAP could use... and you have 45% of memory (50% max - 5% min) which SAP can contend for. That won't cause paging [swapping is when processes are deactivated and should only happen under critically low memory situations] per se -- if the file-backed pages are unmodified, they'll just be dropped. If they were modified, they have to be sync'd eventually anyway.

A trivial way to test the effect of raising your workload by N Gb is to write a program with mlock privileges, allocate N Gb and mlock it -- then look at swapinfo (is any swap actually used), po in vmstat (may get a spike since UFC pageouts count, but should settle down), etc. But in essence -- the memory between max and min is available and fairly easily reclaimable for new workloads. No promises that less memory available for filecache won't affect performance of the system aftwerwards, of course if there's a lot of file I/O involved in said workloads.
UVK
Trusted Contributor

Did you try using glance. Glace give you much moe detailed information.

Does you system has any zombi's ?
-------------------------------------------
Like it or worked !! Click kudos !!
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>UVK: Does you system has any zombies?

Why do you care? They don't take memory/CPU resources.
boje
Regular Advisor

Hi!

I do not have glance installed.

I will contact HP support for latest kmeminfo tool.

What├В┬┤s a Zombie?

Br
Patrik
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor