1753613 Members
5939 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

hp-ux printer configurtaion

Asim_5
Frequent Advisor

hp-ux printer configurtaion

i have window machine and printer is attached with it and shared.
on my unix workstation i want to add tht printer which i did through sam using remote printer it is added but print remain in queue never printed.
when i used by adding network printer in sam it hangs and sam language jumpled up down and wont allow to make any changed take place.

any one help me to add window share printer?
the printer has no nic card its attached with window pc and shared.
in network how can i properly configured it???
7 REPLIES 7
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

Re: hp-ux printer configurtaion

Hi Asim

You can read out my thread. I have solved this kind of issue recently. Cheers

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1203124
a warrior never quits
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The remote printer isn't working because Windows does not enable Unix sharing unless you turn it on in Windows. Network printing has nothing to do with Windows printing -- you use network printing to bypass print servers and print direct to the printer.

Add Unix print services to your Windows box.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Your problem is that the normal printing protocols are not compatible between HP-UX and Windows.

By default, the Windows machine accepts connections to the shared printers using Microsoft's file/printer sharing protocol. This protocol is called SMB (or CIFS in some cases).

HP-UX has two printing protocols: LPR (sam's "Remote printer" option) and JetDirect (sam's "Network printer" option). Neither of these options can talk to a printer that is shared in Microsoft style.

The easiest way to solve this is to install and activate a LPD printing service on the windows machine (LPD is the server component of the LPR protocol). See the instructions here:

http://www.frogmorecs.com/arts/configure-lpdsvc.html

After installing and activating the LPD printing service on the Windows machine, you can configure the HP-UX machine to use the printers (using the "Remote printer" option of sam).

If your Unix print jobs contain anything other than simple text (i.e. PostScript or PCL control codes), the Windows LPD service may output the codes in text form instead of passing them to the printer as-is (to get the output formatted as intended). If you have this problem, see the following MS Knowledge Base articles for help:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q150930
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;168457
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q179156/

MK
MK
Asim_5
Frequent Advisor

i have configured the print services for unix on window machine and printer added on the hp-ux machine but still i am unable to print from unix machine.
i use sam (remote printers) printer added but print remains in queu
how i troubleshoot my unix for printer attached to window machine.

help me in this issue as i am keep trying from one week but nothing working
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The HP-UX machine should be able to connect to the TCP port number 515 on the Windows machine.

Test 1: Is the TCP port 515 enabled on the Windows machine?
Open a Command Prompt window on the Windows machine, and enter "telnet 127.0.0.1 515".
What happens?

- if the telnet command stops immediately with "Connection Refused" error message, the TCP/IP Print Server component is not yet properly enabled, or a firewall software on the Windows machine is pretending that the port is not in use.
Solution: make sure the TCP/IP Print Server component is running (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> TCP/IP Print Server). If not, set its startup type to "Automatic", then start it. Test again.
If it is running and the test still fails, fix the configuration of your firewall software.

- if the telnet command hangs 1-3 minutes with a message like "Trying 127.0.0.1...", you *almost certainly* have a firewall software on the Windows machine. It's pretending that the connection attempt does not exist at all, so the telnet command will wait until it times out.
Solution: fix the configuration of your firewall software, and test again.

- If the telnet window is cleared, the connection was successful and TCP/IP Print Server component is running. Just close the telnet window to end the test. Proceed to test 2.

Test 2: Can the HP-UX machine connect to TCP port 515 of the Windows machine?
On the HP-UX machine, run the command "telnet 515". What happens?

If the connection is refused or times out after a minute or so, there is some sort of a firewall between the HP-UX machine and the Windows machine. (Just like test 1, but now the firewall can be an external network device, or a software-based IPFilter in the HP-UX machine.) Find it, and fix its configuration. Repeat the test.

If the HP-UX telnet command outputs the message "Connected to ", you know the network connection is OK.

Test 3: What's the current state of the print job scheduler of the HP-UX machine?
Run the commands "lpstat -r" and "lpstat -p" on the HP-UX machine.
Is the printer in enabled state?
If not, use the "enable" command to enable it.
Is the job scheduler running?
If not, restart it.
Read the /var/adm/lp/log file to get more information about what is happening.

MK
MK
Asim_5
Frequent Advisor

The printer issue has been solved.

matti i love u
Asim_5
Frequent Advisor

i really appreciate the answers from diffrent users.
window to unix printer is working fine.

now i want to add the share printer on the network which is network printer having ip and attached with print-server machine.
now i want to add that printer on unix machine so my question is that
the same port tcp/ip 515 port is required for the printer side for configure the network printer or any else port will be used.
will it require the same steps procedure as matti had told to troubleshoot the printer on network side.

kindly help me in this regard if any one of you configured network printer on unix machine.