1752533 Members
5403 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hpsmh changes from PSP 7.52 to PSP 7.91

Matt Hellman
Occasional Advisor

hpsmh changes from PSP 7.52 to PSP 7.91

I'm trying to upgrade from PSP 7.52 to PSP 7.91. hpsmh is being upgraded from hpsmh-2.1.5-146 to hpsmh-2.1.10-186.

In the previous install, we configured hpsmh to bind to localhost and used a SSH connection with port forwarding to reach the HP system management homepage (ie. enter browser address https://127.0.0.1:2381 on client and SSH processes forward to 2381 on server). We would then login with the same credentials we used to login via SSH. The linux box is configured to auth to AD using ldap. This all worked fine before.

After the upgrade, I can no longer connect via the SSH forwarded port. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling without binding just to localhost. With this configuration, I can connect remotely and I can connect from the local console. However, I still cannot connect via SSH. Also, I can no longer login as anyone but root. I'm using the same group configuration as before (wheel).

The log files in /var/spool/opt/hp/hpsmh/logs show nothing useful.

Any help with either issue is appreciated.

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Matt Hellman
Occasional Advisor

btw, I forgot to add that I get the following syslog message when I try to connect over SSH:

Jan 8 08:07:50 HOSTNAME sshd[1937]: Received request to connect to host 127.0.0.1 port 2381, but the request was denied.
Matt Hellman
Occasional Advisor

Also, when I attempt to auth as myself...the following syslog is generated:

Jan 8 09:05:29 HOSTNAME sysmgthp(pam_unix)[32754]: authentication failure; logname= uid=100 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost= user=USERNAME

This is odd to me given that sysmgthp appear to be exactly the same on the old and new system.
Matt Hellman
Occasional Advisor

If I keep this up, maybe I'll answer my own question. Anyway, the syslog message indicating a login failure occurs even on systems running PSP 7.52 where authentication actually works. The uid is that of the hpsmh user.

Jan 8 09:22:41 pfgdsmnetsec12 sysmgthp(pam_unix)[32348]: authentication failure; logname= uid=79 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost= user=h890656
Matt Hellman
Occasional Advisor

well, I installed PSP 7.80 and I can now authenticate fine, so 7.91 appears broken in this regard. However, I still cannot login via an SSH port forward.
Matt Hellman
Occasional Advisor

Is it so wrong to answer my own post;-)

okay, someone had disabled port forwarding in the SSH config...so that is resolved. I still can't authenticate as anyone but root in 7.91. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt