Operating System - HP-UX
1752360 Members
6142 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hpux 11.00 will not service incoming inetsvs, but outgoin ok.

Matthew Murdock
Valued Contributor

hpux 11.00 will not service incoming inetsvs, but outgoin ok.

After installing the recommend patchs for hpux 11.00 (not the qpk1100bundle)and the recommended associated patches, i am unable to telnet, rlogin, or ssh into the server. From the console, I can get out to other servers with telnet,rlogin,ssh. NFS mounts other filesystems, and exports just fine. Other servers can mount this servers exported fs just fine also.
the / filesystem comes up clean during boot.
3 REPLIES 3
TTr
Honored Contributor

> i am unable to telnet, rlogin, or ssh into the server

Check the /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log file for errors. All these services are started by inetd except ssh. Check the /etc/rc.log for any errors during boot up. Check if inetd and ssh are running
Matthew Murdock
Valued Contributor

One thing more, when I do issue a rlogin from a remote system, it appears to connect, for when connected, I issue a "/sbin/init.d/inetd stop" and the remote client errors out with a loss connection message. So it must be connecting to the daemon, but the server is not sending back a login/shell to the client request....(?). When i issue a /usr/sbin/inetd -c a message appears in the syslog.log file login/tcp: accept: Invalid argument. I will look in ITRC for that messages.
TTr
Honored Contributor

> login/tcp: accept: Invalid argument.

Check the time stamp of /etc/inetd.conf and also examine its contents everywhere but more around the "telnet" line. There is no "accept" string anywhere in the inetd.conf file, it may have been corrupted or inadvertenly edited with junk.