108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

hpux connectivity

Salibt
Occasional Contributor

hpux connectivity

hi forums,
i have the following issue:
some hpux servers are connected to EVA8000, and eva 5000, and i am using secure path and auto path as multipathing softawre.
now i need to connect some of these servers to EMC storage dmx4.
my question is:
can i keep secure path on the machine, and manage both storage using it, or at least can i keep secure path for eva and can i use pv links for dmx4 lun. please quick and confirmed answres are apreciate it
7 REPLIES 7
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

Re: hpux connectivity

I do not see where securepath will cause issues with EMC storage. EMC has their own multipathing softare for their disk arrays called powerpath. You will need that also
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

PV links should be the best way.
Salibt
Occasional Contributor

thx for yr reply, my question is , can i discover dmx lun without installing powerpath, because i know that secure path will not iscover lun from emc storage
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

yes you can, you need to make zones between your DMX box and server(s) and them present the luns.

securepath / hdlm / powerpath is multipath software.

In our company we migrated DMX2000 ==> Hitachi USP-V ( HP XP 24000 ) = without any problems.

We used the powerpath with the DMX, but now we are using only PV links.

From the version Powerpath 5.x only EMC storage are supported. ( checked in December 2008 - maybe the situation was changed )

I found lot of documentation about EMC product on the powerlink.emc.com

Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Yes you can discover DMX LUNs without even installing PowerPath. In that case, you have to use PVlinks in order to achieve multipathing and limited load balancing. Using PowerPath gives you a lot better LUN management however, you have to pay for a license.

J.
Salibt
Occasional Contributor

ok so i can keep secure path for eva
and use pvlink for EMC ???
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

yes, that's the best solution.