New Discussion юеВ

Re: hpux question about lvm

SOLVED
Go to solution
navin
Super Advisor

hpux question about lvm

Hello All,

I have a system rp4440 and have 2 internal disks.The first disk runs 11.11 on it. And right now i have restored 11.23 OS (VG00) from a different server to second disk and would like to know what fix i should make in order to have the lvmtab updated.
do i have to boot from lm mode
Thanks
Learning ...
9 REPLIES 9
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi:

> I...have 2 internal disks. The first disk runs 11.11 on it.

So your server boots 11.11.

> And right now i have restored 11.23 OS (VG00) from a different server to second disk and would like to know what fix i should make in order to have the lvmtab updated.

And what is your objective here?

If you want to merely mount the logical volumes on the imported disk in order to examine differences between the files therein and files on you 11.11 vg00 then you can simply 'vgimport' the 11.23 disk as something like vg01; create mountpoints for its logical volumes and mount them.

The 'lvmtab', to answer your question, is updated and maintained by standard LVM commands. One principal way is to use 'vgimport' to adds entities' 'vgexport' deletes them.

Regards!

...JRF...
navin
Super Advisor

hello,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes basically - once the restore is complete on the sec disk (vg01) we are plainning on boot the server using the second disk and that will be kept as primary disk and the first disk will be used to create the app vol groups.Since we do the restore te lvmtab will also be restored - correct.So pls advice in this situvation what type of lvm maintanance needed.
I surely 100% appreciate your expertise
thanks wall
Learning ...
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

navin,

> i have restored 11.23 OS (VG00) from a different server to second disk

How did you restore 11.23 to this disk from a different server.

- You have to change the boot path in PDC , to the 2nd disks boot address in order to boot from this disk .

hth,
Raj.

" If u think u can , If u think u cannot , - You are always Right . "
navin
Super Advisor

Raj,
Thanks for the reply - yes i did restore using backups.

I believe we are ok with boot path as we try to boot manually from pdc
but i wonder do we have to change any thihng on the lvm config if so how - i rarely use vgimport and export

thanks
Learning ...
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

navin,

I dont understand how you restored 11.23 OS using backup .

OS can be restored (rather installed) , using Install Media or using Ignite-ux .

If you mirrored the disk with a good 11.23 os disk, and break the mirror and then trying to boot on the other machine it may not work as the mkboot would have written a different bootdisk path into LIF header from where you mirrored it. A fresh install would be good enough.

> what fix i should make in order to have the lvmtab updated.

If your lvmtab contains phantom disk that is not needed you have to do vgreduce that disk and keep only which is needed.

# vgreduce vg00

What is the output of # vgscan -p -v
If lvmtab does not match with the current physical volumes, vgscan will report it and also will report missing pvs.

Hth,
Raj.

navin
Super Advisor

Raj,
Apprecite your input. I have created a new volumegroup say vg011 using second disk and created volumes in there and mounted .The OS restore was kicked of on the mounted vloumes - we are going to boot from this second disk and need to know what needs to be donw for the lvm config as it needs to be a vgoo when we try to boot it .

thanks again
Learning ...
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

navin,
> I have created a new volumegroup say vg011 using second disk and created volumes in there and mounted .The OS restore was kicked of on the mounted vloumes - we are going to boot from this second disk

OS may not be available this way,

Remember Boot programs are needed in a particular area on the disk, unfortunately filesystem to filesystem copy is not enough.

Check :
http://docs.hp.com/en/B3921-90010/mkboot.1M.html

You can install 11.23 using cold- install.
And you will have that disk 11.23 bootable.
http://docs.hp.com/en/5187-2725/ch05s03.html

Btw , what is the objective here?

Hth,
Raj.

navin
Super Advisor

Hi ,
We created the vg011 after doing the pvcreate with -B option and i did copy the LIF volume..

The Objective here is by having restore of another system to this second disk and try boot from second disk to see if it is similar to a server that we did restore from .This is kind of DR test for the server we restored from.

Thanks Raj
Learning ...
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

navin,

> The Objective here is by having restore of another system to this second disk and try boot from second disk to see if it is similar to a server that we did restore from

Why not use make_tape_recovery .
This is exactly what you are looking for, for this purpose.

- Take a ignite backup from the source machine to tape:
# /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a ${TAPE_DRIVE}

Whre TAPE_DRIVE is the local DAT drive. ex: /dev/rmt/0mn ( to check with ioscan -fnC tape )

- Boot the 2nd server using this tape , and in hp-ux install menu to choose the 2nd disk .

Cheers,
Raj.