Operating System - HP-UX
1753766 Members
5396 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: hpux11.3 emscli -r fails, smh ems fails, smh emc gui fails, and monconfig not valid for 11.3 to

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

hpux11.3 emscli -r fails, smh ems fails, smh emc gui fails, and monconfig not valid for 11.3 too.

This should be a trivial problem.  Like "how to change directories? or unmount a filesystem".   but alas....yet again I am confronted with an insane problem.

The HPUX event monitoring software, aka E.M.S. is not working.  When it arrived preconfigured I discovered it was not set up to monitor anything. (that's the first time I have seen that since I started looking at hpux in 1988).

Trying to use ems from the System management homepage dies.

Trying to use emc from the System management homepage text mode aka smh, says "Client connect failed. An error occurred while trying to connect to a remote system: Can't assign requested address."

Trying to emscli fails with the same error. I ran  "emscli -h".

Trying to the old configuration setup of /etc/opt/resmon/lbin/monconfig is not allowed in 11.3.

I already ran inetd -c

I confirmed registrar is setup in /etc/inetd.conf I ran "netstat -a | grep regist" and saw....

Tcp 0  0 *.registrar  *.*  LISTEN

I placed a call in with HP on this.  I'm waiting on an answer from them.

Now where in there was I assigning an ip address? 

Oh I'm sure a reboot will fix it.

But the way it is going, I'll be rebooting the box every 5 minutes.

3 REPLIES 3
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: hpux11.3 emscli -r fails, smh ems fails, smh emc gui fails, and monconfig not valid for 11.3 to

Welcome to the order of things. EMS and STM were deprecated in 2009 and replaced by SMH, SFM and WBEM interfaces. There's about 20 programs that may need fixing -- or you can download the mega-bundle diagnostic package for 11.31. A very important feature is to make sure the random number generator is running (yeah, the package depends on it for security stuff). And the random number generator (rng, now a DLKM) must be loaded and active. If the rng module doesn't get or stay loaded, ssh will also fail.

Check syslog for lots of errors.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Solution

As Bill said, EMS is effectively deprecated in 11.31, you need to use SFM and it's ancillary components. There's a useful technical paper on making the migration here:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02706343/c02706343.pdf

Amd the full set of SFM documentation is available at:

http://www.hp.com/go/hpux-diagnostics-sfm-docs 

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Steve Post
Trusted Contributor

Well I got the documents.  What a pile of.... I had a "humorous" paragraph here. I'll replace my uneeded rant with more useful statements. (or in MY terms..... better stuff).

I just wanted to make sure... that if there is an error... I can get paged.

The documentation seems overly complex.  Painfully so to me.  As I examine it more I find it has been around for a long time.  And even if I find the documentation troublesome?  That is my problem.  If I had the time, I would make my own manual for EMS. 

So I just want to set something so a hardware error will Page me.  But before I can do that.  I will have to study a pile of other stuff that seems unrelated. 

I have made programs that search through log files to alert me on errors.   This would be a work around.  But it sounds silly for me to say it is easier to build my EMS alarm system, that it is to read and understand this manual.

I am not asking for any more responses.  I'm fine.  I'll figure it out from here.  Thank you for pointing out the correct solution.

Steve