4813 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hwmgr in tru64

Shehan
Super Advisor

hwmgr in tru64

Hi all
How to use hwmgr in tru64 to change model of tape from SDT-9000 to AIT-50.

Thanks
Nirukshitha
13 REPLIES 13
Chris Ellam
Advisor

I am assuming that you have either replaced the SDT-9000 or added an AIT-50 tape device. I am presuming that you want to use tape0 as your device name.

First the hardware model identification is read from the actual devices attached. This means that you should not mess with the database entries to change it.

I suspect that when you use hwmgr that you will now see more than 1 tape device. If not perform an scsi scan now, i.e. hwmgr -scan scsi. You should now see tape0 your original SDT-9000 and tape1 your new AIT-50 drive. If you want to continue using tape0 as the prefered device name you can swap the device names, i.e.

dsfmgr -e tape0 tape1.

Check this with hwmgr -view dev
Shehan
Super Advisor

Thanks lot.Actually I got the "hwmgr v d" output.It shows only "SDT-9000" tape drive.but not shows "SDX-500C(AIT-50)" from this command.
Also used the "hwmgr scan scsi" command,but it doesn't show the AIT-50.

but when we run "mt -f /dev/tape/tape2 status" command ,it gave something else.

So will I be able to use "dsfmgr -e tape0 tape2" command to solve my issue.

Thanks
Niru
Chris Ellam
Advisor

Yes, I believe this should work for you.

It also appears to me that your device database is not up to date. Try a grep for SDX in /etc/ddr.dbase

If the SDX-500C etc... entries are not found then you are not up to date and will need to install the appropriate NHD kit or patch kit.
Shehan
Super Advisor

I checked "dsfmgr -e tape0 tape2".but It didn't solve my issue.Problem is SDX-500 is not appearing from the OS.Still I coluln't grep SDX in the /etc/ddr.dbase.I will let you know it.Probbly it might be the problem for not detecting SDX .Also I deleted the exisisting DAT tape drive & re-scan the scsi device.But again it detected only the DAT drive.It seems to be Hardware problem in the server or OS issue.

Please advice me about the NHD kit or related patch kit for SDX.

Thanks
Nirukshitha

Mark Garrett
Advisor

Bit confused by that thread was not sure if you had or had not seen the AIT-50 on hwmgr and if the SDT-9000 was disconnected from the bus? or if the AIT-50 was on the same SCSI Bus Target Lun?

What I suggest you do is hwmgr -v d | grep tape
then hwmgr -delete -id xxx for anything thats a tape.
hwmgr -show scsi should have no unconfigured devices.
Then hwmgr -scan scsi ; hwmgr -v d If you dont see the tape now its got connection issues. now dfsmgr -m tapeN tape0
Shehan
Super Advisor

SDT-9000 is still connected to the server.I already followed your procedue ,but we show only SDT-9000 after scan again.I am planining to shutdown server to SRM level & see whether it is detected from the SRM level.Then we can sure about the HW.IF you have any idea about NHD kit or patches ,pls let me know.

Thanks
Nirukshitha
Mark Garrett
Advisor

I'm assuming they both on a direct SCSI bus? Nothing in a hardware delivery kit would be an issue unless the Host bus adpapter was of a different type than you had and you needed a driver for the card? We should still be able to see the device on the bus. I dont think this is what you have? Assuming its SCSI what does the old scu show edt tell you, can I see the output of

hwmgr view hierarchy
hwmgr -show scsi -full
hwmgr -v d
scu show edt
DCBrown
Frequent Advisor

Its hard to tell, but is sounds like the device is broken and not recognized when you do a hwmgr scan.

If this is on a parallel scsi bus, then you can simulate part of the hwmgr scan by using scu in an attempt to talk directly to the device:

# scu
scu> sbtl
scu> tur
scu> show inquiry

Is the tape a direct attach via parallel scsi, at what b/t/l, and what does the above commands return?
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Try checking that the AIT drive has a unique SCSI ID on the bus.

That would probably stop it from being seen...

Cheers,

Rob