1753954 Members
7303 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ignite-ux

Peter Brimacombe
Frequent Advisor

ignite-ux

I have installed Ignite-UX on a K box, from it I have created archives for 8 HP-UX clients.

Last night, as a test I tried to reboot one of the clients and reinstall from the archive. I couldn't do it from the console of the client and instead directed the Ignite server to reboot the client which it did.

I think that my problem with trying to reboot from the client console is that I have not configured /etc/bootptab on the ignite server. Message in syslog.log is "tftp sendfile can't assign requested address".

do I have to add an entry in /etc/bootptab for each client? What bootfile should I specify? I could not see any documentation talking about tftp.

I am using Ignite-ux to back up the OS of my clients instead of ode copyutil.
5 REPLIES 5
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor

Re: ignite-ux

Are your machines remotely bootable? ie. which machines are you trying to boot. I think the Ignite documentation list a number of models that do not support booting from the lan
nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Yes, if you want to have more control over the allocation of IP addresses and their mappings to your clients, you can configure entries in /etc/bootptab for each client. Only clients known in /etc/bootptab would be able to boot if you do not use instl_boottab. The example for /etc/bootptab entry is as follows:
sysname:
hn:
vm=rfc1048:
ht=ether:
ha=080009352575:
ip=200.0.0.88:
sm=255.255.255.0:
bf=/opt/ignite/boot/boot_lif

The IP address of the IUX server must be specified with the instl_adm -t option.
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

why not using the Ihnite/UX GUI to enter the needed
data into instl_boottab? Start "/opt/ignite/bin/ignite"
and use the "setup server" selection.Fill in the MAC
(or Link-Level) address of the target and the ip-address
is is going to get. Then you wont need the "/etc/bootptab".
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

HELLO PETER,

WHAT IS THE SITUATION WITH THE IGNITE-UX INSTALLATION?
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.

I don't see anything in your post about booting the client box from tape first and then restoring the archive from the Ignite server.

I am pretty sure that 800 series boxes don't have a "boot net" option like the 700's do. So if you are running an 800 then you need to make a boot tape(using make_boot_tape).

There was some good documentation on this in the May/June 2000 "Interex Enterprise Solutions" magazine. www.interex.org