4040 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

incorrect size of partitions

Caster Troy
Regular Advisor

incorrect size of partitions

Hi Gurus,
I got a new server DL580 G5 and a new storage MSA2000 (12x300GB SAS drives) I have created a vdisk of 2.6TB in the storage through SMU (storage management utility) when i create partitions on the Linux it shows both the partitions 2.6TB whereas i give the start cylinder for first partition 1-30444 and for second partition 30445-60888 why does it show this incorrect information? i want both partitions to be of 1.3TB each
plz help
thanks
Evil Has Its Winning Ways
6 REPLIES 6
M.Kantharuban
Advisor

Re: incorrect size of partitions

Interesting.

are you by mistake seeing the same vdisk with two fc cards, instead of partitions?

what does the fdisk -l outputs?

br, Kanthaa
Caster Troy
Regular Advisor

Hi Kanthaa,
Yes, I have 2 cards and they are connected to Port0 on both controllers. The MSA has 2 enclosures (12x300GB SAS disks) and (12x750GB SATA disks) On the SATA disks the initialization is still running, however, the SAS initialization is complete. Moreover, can you please guide me on how to configure the SATA drives with the windows server and how to configure multipath for it?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

An MBR-style partition table can only deal with disks smaller than 2TB (2^32 blocks * 512 byte/block). You could create two MSA2000 volumes of 1.3TB each or use GUID-partitions (sorry, I don't know how to work with them).
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

You'll have to use parted.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Caster Troy
Regular Advisor

Hi Court,

i am a newbie to linux so can u plz explain parted briefly

thanx
kelvinlnx
Advisor

You cannot list the partition table using fdisk because it cannot handle drives/partitions > 2TB. If you do use fdisk to display the partition table it will not be accurate.

You will have to use parted to handle this. Eg. Login as root then type:
parted
(parted) mklabel gpt
(parted) mkpart primary 0 1300000
(parted) quit

This will create approximately 1.3TB

BECAREFUL when using parted. It writes directly to the disk.

To learn more on the syntax of the parted command check this out:
http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/html_chapter/parted_2.html