New Discussion юеВ

Re: increase memory in linux VM

SOLVED
Go to solution
jona_1
Frequent Advisor

increase memory in linux VM

HI ,
First i want to tell you i am totally new in this VM..One of my linux box i got some msg several times..I have attach that msg.& checked that the memory is low..i come 2 know that it's a linux VM from some manual. Now i want that the mem util should be less..Could u please tell me is there any tunable parameter from which i can modify .I am a hp-ux admin.
so in linux VM i dont hv any idea..

Regards,JOna
4 REPLIES 4
TwoProc
Honored Contributor
Solution

In your vmware configuration of each client machine - you can add more ram easily - however, afterwards, I believe you'll have to bounce the server to take effect. No points, please as my answer is not sufficient enough to your question, and only indicates that in general, you can do this.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Zinky
Honored Contributor

Greetings Jona and Velkcommen!

There is no "Tunable" to increase memory to address your machine's memory lack. Since your Linx is a VM under vMware - you can ask your Vmware administrator to increase your current VM's 4GB of RAM Allocation to whatever you feel is the need.

Note that you cannot do this on the fly currently - at least as I came to know. You will have to shut down your VM, perform the memory increase in VCentre or Vmware Console and bring up the Linux VM.

Cheers!
Hakuna Matata

Favourite Toy:
AMD Athlon II X6 1090T 6-core, 16GB RAM, 12TB ZFS RAIDZ-2 Storage. Linux Centos 5.6 running KVM Hypervisor. Virtual Machines: Ubuntu, Mint, Solaris 10, Windows 7 Professional, Windows XP Pro, Windows Server 2008R2, DOS 6.22, OpenFiler
Modris Bremze
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, no RAM adding possible on-the-fly for VMware VMs. You will have to poweroff the VM, ask VMware admin to increase RAM for that VM and then boot up the server again. Nothing else necessary, the server should pick up the new RAM space automatically.
Also, if you do not use them, consider shutting down or not launching X windows and printing support services at all. This would save you a few MB of RAM.
jona_1
Frequent Advisor

Tnx all