4803 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

increase the PE extents

gany59
Regular Advisor

increase the PE extents

Hello,
how to increase the PE extents size, if i need to increase from 4 to 16MB what is the procedure on that.

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Manix
Honored Contributor

Re: increase the PE extents

Hey !!
AFAIK it`s not possible i don`t think even 'vgmodiyf' can do it.

http://www.unix.com/man-page/all/1m/vgmodify/

You can increase other parameters like PE/PV
to get more space ,that too on 11iv2 & v3 with
vgmodify

Thanks
Manix
HP-UX been always lovable - Mani Kalra
Manix
Honored Contributor

Do read this good stuff.

Using the vgmodify command to perform LVM VolumeGroup Dynamic LUN Expansion (DLE) and Contraction(DLC)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01920387/c01920387.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Thanks
Manix
HP-UX been always lovable - Mani Kalra
satheeshnp
Advisor

Its difficult to increase the PE extend size using vgmodify if you are using LVM 1 version.

We can do the same in LVM 2 version.
Jose Mosquera
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If your HP-UX version, or LVM version do not support this command feature (vgmodify), then you must define PE size at VG creation moment:
#vgcreate -s 16 vgname /dev/dsk/cntndn...

Where -s [nn] will be your desired PE size.

Rgds.
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hi gany,

Traditionally LVM had some "cast in concrete" attributes. Max PVs, Max LVs and extent size were some of those. Then after some time came vgmodify with the -p and -l and -e and many more options.

However, I really agree with most of the forumers. Increasing "extent size" is still a "cast in concrete" attribute which means once set, it cannot be increased.

However, you can increase the maximum "number of extents" cez mathematically in terms of that pool of space something is possible then. Don't forget to assign appropriate points gany.

Regards
Ismail Azad
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....