New Discussion юеВ

Re: increase the font size in HPUX

SOLVED
Go to solution
S.S.
Super Advisor

increase the font size in HPUX

Dear Experts,

How can i increase the font size in HP-ux as we need to do this for the banner.

Thank you.
14 REPLIES 14
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Which HP-UX? Which "the font size"? Which
"the banner"? Displayed where? If it's not
too much to ask, what are you talking about?
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

man banner

Example:-

# banner "Good luck" Susan
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
S.S.
Super Advisor

I mean, for the large size.

I want to use for the warning messages.
Adding the banner to the /etc/issue or /etc/motd files and particular sentence should appear with some large font.

Thank you.
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Hi SS,

Do you need much bigger than?? "Fonts size which is used by banner command example ..?

Check attachment hope the default font size which used by default banner command should full fill you needs

Regards,
Johnson
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Adding the banner to the /etc/issue or /etc/motd files and particular sentence should appear with some large font.

Typically, unless you are dealing with a word document, you can only increase the size of all letters in a window.

As Steven mentioned, you can use banner(1), which will simulate large fonts, 6 letters tall, the old fashion line printer way.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The display attributes (font size, colors etc) on a HP-UX terminal connection are produced by the terminal/emulator, not by the HP-UX server.

The server can send out some terminal control codes to change the display attributes, but it is up to the terminal to implement them (or not).

The problem is, not all terminals use the same control codes. You must first identify the terminal type, then choose the right codes to send for that terminal type. Wrong codes might have no effect, be displayed as garbage, or worse, they might mess up the terminal's settings, making it hard to use until reset.

For example, VT100 is one of the most common terminal types. Terminal emulators like PuTTY and xterm are emulating a VT100-compatible terminal (usually a VT100 with an optional AVO add-on, or a VT102) by default.

A basic VT100 simply did not have the feature of showing some text in bigger font. With the proper codes, the terminal could be switched from the default 80x25 character mode to a mode that had 132 characters on each line, but that made the text smaller, not larger. It also affected all the text on the screen, which is not what you apparently want.

When you talk about such requirements for /etc/issue and/or /etc/motd, it is usually for avoiding some legal liability, e.g. to make it impossible for potential intruders to claim they didn't know the system was for authorized users only. It's usually more important that the message is clearly readable on any possible terminal, as the intruder might not be using company standard equipment. In that case, WRITING THE SPECIAL SENTENCE IN ALL CAPS is probably the best you can do.

MK

MK
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> I want to use for the warning messages.

Which "the warning messages"?

> [...] Displayed where? [...]

Still wondering what you're talking about.

> A basic VT100 simply did not have the
> feature of showing some text in bigger
> font.

But anything above a basic VT100 (aVT100 with
an Advanced Video Option, or any VTxxx, where
xxx > 100) should offer double height and
double width characters. Many
"VT-compatible" terminal emulators lack these
features, however.
S.S.
Super Advisor

HI MK,

As per your advice i have capitalized the heading of the warning banner messages in /etc/motd and /etc/issue files.
One of the HP engineer has given the following escape sequence to increase the font size. Please find the "Escapse Sequence"

Escape sequence

1. vi in insert mode

2. control ├в v

3. esc (a ^[ sign will appear)

4. add additional keys for different output (e.g. ^[[5m)

[5m for light blinking

[5m[1m for bold blinking

#6 medium font

#3 menu

#4 menu large font

[m terminator

I tried like:

1.control v
2. esc
3. [
4. [5m
5. typed message
6. control v
7. [
8. m

but it is changing the character color to red and affecting to all the characters in the terminal to display with red color. I have tried various options given in the escape sequence to increase the font but it is not working for me.

Any idea on this?

Steven and Johnson,

My query is:
I have added the following banner in /etc/motd and /etc/issue file to display the warning message shown to users when login to server.
├в Notice to Users
Use of this system constitutes consent to security monitoring and testing. All activity is logged with your host name and IP address.├в

For the "Notice to Users" sentence i want to increase the font size, not for the remaining sentence then in that case how can i change?

Thank you for helping me.

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> > [...] Displayed where? [...]

Still a mystery.

> Escape sequence

Escape sequences tend to be specific for a
particular terminal (or terminal emulator),
and I still have no idea which terminal (or
terminal emulator) you expect to be using.

The following escape sequences set "line
attributes" in VT terminals:

# 3 Double-height, top half
# 4 Double-height, bottom half
# 6 Double-width.

These work with a real VT, or with a DECterm,
but I doubt that a dtterm, hpterm, or xterm
will do the right thing if you send these
sequences to one of those. If the terminal
(or terminal emulator) can't render
characters in different sizes, then it won't
matter what you send it.