108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: installing tru64 unix on alpha ES40 with raid controller DS-KZPCC

SOLVED
Go to solution
MahdiRa
Frequent Advisor

installing tru64 unix on alpha ES40 with raid controller DS-KZPCC

the problem is that when am installing tru64 unix version 4.0f it reaches the xwindows starting step and checkes the hardware the saing it seems that you dont have HDD and get to single user mod shell whil if am tring to install tru64 unix version 5.1B it works ok
Pleas advice
Mahdi
19 REPLIES 19
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Without the exact information about the type of controller (kzpcc is only a generic information) checking the supported option list is not possible.

Why not checking the supported option list from your side before installing 4.0f? This will give you a clue what NHD is necessary and if it supported at all.

e.g. -AC and -CE requires a EV6 alpha, PK4 installed and NHD3. Installation is well documentation within the controller information giving the steps and software levels, firmware revisions, patch installing rule etc.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
MahdiRa
Frequent Advisor

I see that this Raid controler is supporting V4.0f but with NHD3 kit but what i did is creating two logical devices from the RAID controler BIOS on is raid 1 contains two disks and one raid 5 contains three disks and i could see the two devices on the console from the >>>show dev
but when am booting from cdrom to install i stoped at the point after starting the Xwindow and starting to check the hardware
i did download the NHD3 kit from HP site but from the read me file it was operating system kit, but still i dont have operating system i want to install it on the logical devices i did creat
pleas advice
Mahdi
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

so the logic is within your question. A blank 4.0f cdrom does not support the controller because NHD3 is required.

So the only chance is to install on a local disk and move the system to another disk after patching the installation to nhd3 and pk 4. Or to built a boot-cd with patches 4.0f
MahdiRa
Frequent Advisor

i did trry to do that in the way of butting one hdd on the additional HDD-shelve that came with server and connect this shelve to scsi card thats alrady i had on my stok but i face the same problem.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Please read my answer again, without nhd3 and the required firmware/patch installation steps (written in detail on the option list/controller info page) it is useless to install 4.0f on the other controller.

Read the requirements and installation instruction and after 4.0f is booting fine on local disk and recognizes the other controller transfer the system to the disks on the kzpcc. Period.

MahdiRa
Frequent Advisor

dear all....,,,
i did remove the Raid controller and install just the new scsi card with the HDDs
but i face the same problem,, the HND3 is for combatapility between Raid controller and V4.0f
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

did you leave the controller in during the install? Otherwise it would not be recognized.

hth,

Michael
MahdiRa
Frequent Advisor

I phisicaly remove it
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Mahdi,

please go exactly through the documented installation steps and be sure you met the requirements. Within your answers there is no indication what you have done and in what order you have made.

If you met the requirements (firmware etc., if NHD3 installation was properly done, if patchkit was installed etc.) there should be no problem.

I've missing also the exact type of controller model as written within my first posting..