New Discussion юеВ

Re: iptrace command??

SOLVED
Go to solution
Becke
Super Advisor

iptrace command??

Hi Guys

Could you tell me how to run iptrace command on specific interface to capture network traffic...thanks..i looked in the man pages but didn't get enough help
5 REPLIES 5
Khashru
Valued Contributor
Solution

If you want to capture network traffic information use nettl. Do a man on this command.
rayche
Frequent Advisor

In hpux,there is another command nettl to trace network, you can enable nettl :

/usr/sbin/nettl -start

then, there is a log file named nettl.LOG00 exist in /var/adm you can use netfmt to read it :

netfmt -f /var/adm/nettl.LOG00

Thanks.
nanan
Trusted Contributor

It may good for you to use nettl
there are an example for ip trace
#nettl -start
#nettl -tn pduin pduout -e ns_ls_ip -s 1024 -tm 99999 -f .log
you can get log files

To stop the gathering
#nettl -tf -e all

Use man nettl
you can get more information

Regards
nanan

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

As mentioned, nettl is the native HP-UX trace program but after reading the documentation and looking at the decoded trace data, it is very cryptic. A better choice is to use a PC with winPcap and Ethereal (www.ethereal.com). Ethereal is the best tool there is to controlling the scope of a trace as well as formatting the data in a meaningful display. Like nettl, Ethereal can generate massively large logfiles unless you limit the scope of the trace to just a specific MAN or IP address. And Ethereal can also decode nettl trace files.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Becke
Super Advisor

Thanks Bill and all, I have learned something new with your help guys, and I have also found out the you can use ipreport command to formatt data that was captured using iptrace command...

Thanks guys
Raf