1753855 Members
7596 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion

kcweb, SAM, and Apache 1.3.x end of support

Ray Carlson
Frequent Advisor

kcweb, SAM, and Apache 1.3.x end of support

Has anyone else noticed the plans to end support for Apache 1.3.x on July 1, 2003?
See URL: http://www.hp.com/products1/unix/webservers/apache/support/index.html
It says that customers should begin the transition process to Apache 2.X.
I would suggest that HP follows it's own advise and updates it's own software, ie kcweb, before they expect customers to update. If HP drops support of Apache 1.3.x, before updating their own software, then Sysadmins would be forced to use an unsupported product since SAM depends on kcweb to monitor and update the kernel and kcweb depends on Apache 1.3.x.
Much to my dismay, Apache 1.3.x was forced on me by HP, starting with HP-UX 11i. Now, I believe that HP has to support Apache 1.3.x until they update their own software. I have attached some of my correspondence with HP for anyone interested.
1 REPLY 1
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: kcweb, SAM, and Apache 1.3.x end of support

Ray,

The whole problem lies with the SAM team and their insistence on using a web interface (kcweb). SAM was ponderous to start with - pairing it with Apache and, presumably, Java is an absolute disaster. There was a thread about "The SAM Team Wants Everyone's Input" (or something to that effect), where most of the respondants said they didn't want a web interface. Apparently, HP is having hearing problem (again).

Pete

Pete