cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lan aggregation

ats1
Frequent Advisor

lan aggregation

I have a network card with two ports (lan0 and lan1). how I can configure the aggregation between the lan0 and lan1?
7 REPLIES
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: lan aggregation

You'll need APA (Auto Port Aggregation). In the latest releases of 11.31 it's built-in, but in older versions it's an optional, separately-licensed component.

On HP-UX 11.31, these commands would create lan900 as a simple active/passive (=failover) aggregate, composed of lan0 and lan1. The first command defines the aggregate, the second saves the settings to make them persistent.

nwmgr -a -S apa -c lan900 -A links=0,1 -A mode=LAN_MONITOR

nwmgr -s -S apa -A all --from cu --sa

If you want active/active (load-balancing) aggregation, you should choose either FEC_AUTO or LACP_AUTO mode instead of LAN_MONITOR, depending on what your network switch supports and is configured to allow.

FEC_AUTO = Fast EtherChannel = Cisco PAgP, Cisco's proprietary link aggregation method.

LACP_AUTO = the vendor-neutral IEEE 802.3ad standard method for link aggregation.

For more information on 11.31, see "man nwmgr" and "man nwmgr_apa". You can also use SMH to configure link aggregations.

For more information on all supported HP-UX versions, find APA Administrator's Guide on docs.hp.com.

MK
MK
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

Bijeesh
Respected Contributor

Hi,
For HPUX 11.31, APA is free and can be downloaded from

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPUX-APA

But for previous OS versions like 11v1,11v2
you need to purchase it.The link is given.

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=J4240AA
ats1
Frequent Advisor

i know that i can make an aggregation between two physical network card. i know it's possible. but actually i have only one network card with two ports. so is it possible to make an aggregation between the two ports(of the same card)?
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

Even if you have "one network card with two ports" as you said, actually there are 2 network chipsets in the same PCB.

One example is HP Gigabite Dual Network Card, p/n: NC7170

Best regards,
Horia.
Best regards from Romania,
Horia.
ats1
Frequent Advisor

so it's possible to do it with the two ports of the same card.?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Why not, but keep in mind this is less redundant.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!