New Discussion

Re: lan interface stops responding

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nelson Chamba
Regular Advisor

lan interface stops responding

Hi experts,

I'm facing a strange behavior with my HP box. It is responsible for backups and without any intervention it just cuts his connections on the main interface. I can't connect via telnet and for that nobody can reach him, no ping respond.

When i reboot the server it solves and works for 3 sometimes and other just 1 day and just stop responding.

What could be the problem.

Regards,

Nelson Chamba\

12 REPLIES 12
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The first place to check for any problem is /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log.

I would use grep like this:

grep -i gateway /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log

If you see "dead gateway", you have a notorious default setting in your HP-UX box that disables routes when the gateway misses to a ping test. This is an old default setting that should never have existed. The network code regularly pings routers to see if they are alive (even though ping is a primitive and almost useless test). When the router fails to respond, the network code assumes that the router is dead and stops using that route (an even more useless response). It is not unusual for network security to disable ICMP response (ie, ping) but with this setting in HP-UX, all routed traffic is halted because of a missed ping.

Yes, you need to set the dead gateway detect to off on *every* HP-UX server you have.

To make the change permanent, edit the nddconf file in /etc/rc.config.d and add this:

TRANSPORT_NAME[0]=ip
NDD_NAME[0]=ip_ire_gw_probe
NDD_VALUE[0]=0

The above assumes that there are no [0] entries already.

If there are, use the next available array reference such as [1] or [2].

Then run: ndd -c

which reads the file and performs the settings.

This sets the value to 0 and validates that the file is of the proper format.

(Did I mention that *every* HP-UX server needs this fix?)

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Nelson Chamba
Regular Advisor

Hi experts,

Thank you for the help but now i´m facing a serious problem because i can´t even login to try these commands. My box is connected to the console but it´s not responding al all. 

The console just shows me the LINE MODIFY - MODIFY ALL- BLOCK MODE - REMOTE MODE * - SMOOTH SCROOL * - MEMORY LOCK - DISPLAY FUNCTNS - AUTO LF *

Tried the CTRL+B but no nothing changed.

I already restarted the server but this is not changing anything.

What can I do? 

Regards,

nelson 

Nelson Chamba
Regular Advisor

One more detail is that the LEADs are like this

RUN ----------- Blinking (Green)

ATTERNTION - Blinking (Orange)

FAULT -------- OFF

REMOTE ------ ON (Orange)

POWER ------- ON (Green)

Does it means something?

Regards,

Nelson Chamba\

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>REMOTE MODE * - SMOOTH SCROOL * - MEMORY LOCK - DISPLAY FUNCTNS - AUTO LF *

Remote mode is on, that's good.  Auto LF probably shouldn't be on but that might only affect output.

Nelson Chamba
Regular Advisor

Yes, but what´s next, what do I do, i need to put this machine up, the backups are not running all over the server room.

please advice.

nelson chamba\
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>but what's next

What model server is it?  What HP-UX version?   Can you reboot it?

Nelson Chamba
Regular Advisor

Hi,

It´s an rp2470 running HP-UX 10.20 or 11.0 operating system.

Yes i can reboot but nothing changes after the reboot the terminal screen just displays nothing.

What do I do?

Regards,

Nelson Chamba\

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Check the baud rate on the terminal. It may have changed to 2400.

However, there is no reason to use a serial terminal for your console. The rp2470 has a LAN console built in. Once you can get the terminal working, you need to add a LAN cable to that port and configure it so you can talk to the console over the network.

NOTE: rebooting will not affect the console connection. It is a separate computer that is always on. I assume that you know about CTRL-B which gets the attention of the service processor (GSP). If CTRL-B doesn't work, the baud rate must be set to 9600 (and 8bit, no parity).  Did someone change the serial cable? There are two cables, one always works, the other will never work. Pins 2 and 3 (transmit/receive) are reversed between the two cables and other than a null-modem adapter.

Is there a red flashing light on the front? If so, you may have a hardware failure that will need repair.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

The rp2470 also has one of the W or M cables (or octopus cable) that has 3 9-pin connectors on it.  One is for the console, one a UPS and one is labeled remote.  Make sure you are plugged into the one labeled CONSOLE.

Also, you need to make sure REMOTE MODE is enabled on the console.  It is done via one of the function keys, though I don't remember which one.  If REMOTE MODE is not turned on, then your console will appear to not work.