7107 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

/lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.3.2' not found

Mamun_1
Occasional Contributor

/lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.3.2' not found

Hi
I have installed my application in SUSE Linux Enterprise server 8.
uname -r = 2.4.19-4GB.

Problem: After successfull installation, While I tried to start my application, it returns error:

SCP5 smp/smp> sms_lca
sms_lca: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by /tellin/smp/smp/sms_run/lib/libmech101d01.1DH12.so)
sms_lca: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by /tellin/smp/smp/sms_run/lib/libxerces-c.so)
sms_lca: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by /tellin/smp/smp/sms_run/lib/libACE.so)
sms_lca: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.3.2' not found (required by /tellin/smp/smp/sms_run/lib/libACE.so)
sms_lca: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by /tellin/smp/smp/sms_run/lib/libicuuc.so.22)

manager: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.3.2' not found (required by manager)

In my system, glibc-2.2 version is installed. I tried to get glibc-2.3.2 for i386 platform . but could not manage compitabable version.

Can anyone please help me ,
How can I resolve the problem?
Where can I get this software 4 my i386 machine?
How to update current glibc version?

Waiting 4 replies from u expert guyzz.

CSA
2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.3.2' not found

Upgrading glibc from 2.2.x to 2.3.2 would be a *major* upgrade for your system. You would have to check *every* program on your system for glibc version compatibility: that is, everything in /bin/, /usr/bin, /lib/ and /usr/lib.

The alternative would be to compile and install the new library to a non-default location, and then use LD_LIBRARY_PATH when starting your application (only). If your application runs any sub-processes using standard system binaries, you'll have a problem.

You're not likely to find pre-built RPMs for this upgrade; be prepared to compile and install a lot of libraries on your own.

It is usually simpler to install a newer release of your distribution, i.e. to go from SLES 8 to SLES 9, for example.

Most Linux distributions provide only patchlevel upgrades to glibc within one distribution release. For your SLES 8, an upgrade might be provided to take you from 2.2.x to 2.2.y, but never to 2.3.*. Major upgrades to glibc are usually considered to be reason enough for a new release of the entire distribution.

I suspect your application won't be happy with just a glibc upgrade: it's probably just the first one the dynamic linker complains about. After upgrading glibc, you would get more messages about other libraries.

Run "ldd -v sms_lca" in the appropriate directory to identify all the library dependencies of your application. Do the same to all the .so files in /tellin/smp/smp/sms_run/lib directory. Then evaluate whether you really want to compile all the missing library versions for your current OS version, or whether it would be vastly simpler to re-install the system. I strongly suspect the latter.

MK
MK
Mamun_1
Occasional Contributor

Re: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.3.2' not found

ok
CSA