1752800 Members
5454 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

linux install

John Guster
Trusted Contributor

linux install

A new machine comes with 2 internal disks(same size). What needs be done on these 2 disks before install linux OS from DVD?
5 REPLIES 5
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: linux install

For a simple installation nothing.

If you have a hardware RAID controller, you should configure a mirror for availability with the provider tool.

If you want to use software RAID, see the installation guide of your distribution.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
avizen9
Esteemed Contributor

hi John,
your queston is in-complete, you can do installation as per your requirement,
if its having raid you can first configure raid on that, but its depend on your requirement, you may not configure any raid and use both hdd for storage. let me know more about your needs on this,
John Guster
Trusted Contributor

My point is to make these 2 disks mirrored for OS level file systems. How to approch this? Use Utility to configure them into RAID1 then install OS or use one to install OS, then mirror it late. I want use them under LVM for all OS file systems. Thanks.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You should first identify if you have a hardware raid controller, if so, depending of the machine manufacturer, you will have a tool to configure it, maybe even a BIOS based.

If you don't have it, then check the software RAID+LVM howto for detailed steps.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
John Guster
Trusted Contributor

thanks for your suggestions.