1752703 Members
5863 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

listing only raw logical volumes

brian_31
Super Advisor

listing only raw logical volumes

Is there a quick way to list only the raw volumes on a given system on hp-ux?

Thanks

Brian
6 REPLIES 6
rvelu

Re: listing only raw logical volumes

Hi brain,

Use the following command to view rdisk only

ioscan -funC disk |grep -i rdsk

Regards
Rajesh
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

# ls -l /dev/vg*/r*

If you are talking about finding the raw LV's that are in use by applications, like databases, then that will be more difficult.
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

Maybe in sam, check all the unused lv.
brian_31
Super Advisor

i want to list the raw volumes on a given system and their sizes

Thanks

Brian
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>>i want to list the raw volumes on a given system and their sizes

What raw volumes? Raw LV's? Are you talking about LVs used as raw storage by something like a DB? If so, you need to get a list of the RAW LV's from the DBA and then use 'lvdisplay' to look at the LVs characteristics.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

*EVERY* disk in HP-UX is raw. There are certain uses for these disks, the most common being a filesystem. But a raw disk is used in swap and dump (swapinfo). These are the only two HP-UX tags for disks. All other uses for a raw disk are not tracked except by the application (such as Sybase or Oracle). And of course, there may be completely unused disks that are raw.

If you are trying to document a system, you must first identify 100% of all applications that run on the box, then determine if any of them use raw disks -- databases will be the most common but not the only possibility. If you have a new system, always override the default lvol names that will used as raw volumes (ie, don't use lvol1, lvol2, etc). For existing systems, have the application owner (as in database administrator) show you the config file(s).

There is no guaranteed way to accurately identify raw disks that are in use. Only good record keeping will provide the documentation.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin