live console

maiques_2
Advisor

live console

Hi,
in HPUX 11.i when i connect with MP I can't access to console login
the system display console login and I can't write whenever I type ctrlE cf
It appears Live console.

I should be access to the console if I have any problem with network parameters or telnet.
May be there is a parameter to do console active

With Solaris I do this. I acceed to the console login throw rsc.

Thanks for your help
5 REPLIES 5
Mridul Shrivastava
Honored Contributor

Re: live console

I am not able to open/download the attachement. Could you please let us know what do you see on console after you press Ctrl Ecf, does it shows login prompt and u r not able to type anything ??

Could you please cut and paste the things from the command CO till the prompt you get after pressing Ctrl Ecf..
Time has a wonderful way of weeding out the trivial
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The prior console output shows the tail end of normal boot messages, then "The system is ready." and a normal login prompt.

After the "Live console" separator line, there is nothing at all.

Recommendation: press Enter one or two times, then wait a while.

If there has been a long time since the system was started up and the system is/has been under a heavy workload, the console getty process (that handles the first phase of the login) may have been paged out and the system must retrieve it from the swap partition. In a machine under a heavy workload, that can take even a minute or two.

Other possibilities:
- Can you access the machine through the network? If you can, does the command "ps -ft console" list any processes? There should be at least one getty process. If there is no processes, someone may have changed the /etc/inittab file and disabled the console getty.

(Normally, if there is no process on the console, the init process will automatically re-start a getty process on it.)

- Is the machine alive at all? Go to the MP prompt with Ctrl-B, type VFP to see the state of the machine's indicator lights remotely.
After quitting the VFP mode, use the SL command the check the hardware error log. Remember to select the text output mode before displaying the log, otherwise it will be a cryptic mess of hex codes.
Are there any recent messages?

MK
MK
maiques_2
Advisor

Thanks.
(Use Ctrl-B to return to MP main menu.)

- - - - - - - - - - Prior Console Output - - - - - - - - - -
Starting HP-UX XML Web Server Tools ................................. OK
Starting the System Management HomePage server ...................... OK
Start XVfb X server ................................................. OK
Start CDE login server .............................................. OK
Starting PRNGD (Pseudo Random Number Generator Daemon) .............. OK

The system is ready.

GenericSysName [HP Release B.11.11] (see /etc/issue)
Console Login:
- - - - - - - - - - - - Live Console - - - - - - - - - - - -

These are the messages I have.
The server is going well.
I have connect with telnet.
With ps -ef i see a console.
root 2117 1 0 Jan 22 console 0:00 /usr/sbin/getty console console

I have try to do CR and I get nothing

I can't type ctrlE cf

I think is parameter in MP config.

Thanks and regards.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

This "ps -ef" line would seem to indicate that getty has been running idle from January 22 until now:

root 2117 1 0 Jan 22 console 0:00 /usr/sbin/getty console console

Maybe the terminal state has become corrupted for some reason (for example, there is/has been a terminal with a bad cable connected on the local console interface).

You could try killing the getty process:
kill 2117
The init process should immediately start a new getty process on the console. When getty starts up, it completely resets the terminal interface it's using. This might clear away your problem.

If that does not help, the problem might lie in the MP itself. You can restart the MP without resetting the server itself: the reset command is accessible by accessing the Command Menu (CM) of the MP, then entering the XD command. The restart of the MP is classified as a "destructive test": it simply means that restarting the MP will terminate your current connection to the MP.

The MP takes a while to restart: after your connection is terminated, wait 30 seconds or so before trying to reconnect.

If restarting the MP helps, it's time to check your MP firmware version number. If it's old, you might consider updating the MP firmware to prevent the problem happening again.

If neither of these actions can correct your problem, there might be a hardware fault in the connection between the MP and the server proper.

MK
MK
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Just something different (I don't know what server model we are talking about) - is this a vPar machine?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!