Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

login phrase has not been defined

Joey Piccola
Occasional Advisor

login phrase has not been defined

Hello,

i have a user 'dc1' on a system i inherited. the user 'dc1' to my knowledge has never been used as the human user claims they have never logged in as 'dc1'. Once setting up a new password for 'dc1', when i try to log in as 'dc1' i receive the following error.
====
dc1 :
*ERROR* Your login phrase has not been defined. Access denied.
Report this problem to your system administrator.
====

/etc/passwd is as follows:
dc1:Zg6Fqf4zJL33Y:123:300:,,,:/optim/db:/usr/bin/sh

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
6 REPLIES
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: login phrase has not been defined

It sounds as if some other authentication method is in use besides /etc/passwd.

>>when i try to log in as 'dc1'

How are you logging in? telnet? ssh? something else?
Joey Piccola
Occasional Advisor

oops, should have been more specific... This error occurs via telnet and ssh.

Thanks
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

This error sounds like this user's profile is automatically executing some application which might be this "optim" app/db, which in turn is expecting this "login phrase" and not finding it.

Check the .profile of the user as well as the .*rc files to see what application is starting or trying to start upon login.

HTH

Mel,

There are no *rc files in the user's home directory '/optim/db'. The userâ s .profile also looks good. The userâ s .profile is also used by other users, and those users can login fine.

Something else I just noticed is I am having this issue now with 3x users â dc1â â dc2â and â dc3â all of these users are setup the same (or so I think). These three users are used for a samba share, â dc1â is the only one unable to establish the share connection via windows but â dc2â and â dc3â work just fine.

smb.conf is as follows:
====
[video]
# Comma separated list of user IDs that will connect to the server
valid users = dc1,dc2,dc3
====
Thanks
Joey Piccola
Occasional Advisor

[bad formatting, sorry, lets try that again]

Mel,

There are no *rc files in the user's home directory '/optim/db'. The userâ s .profile also looks good. The userâ s .profile is also used by other users, and those users can login fine.

Something else I just noticed is I am having this issue now with 3x users 'dc1' 'dc2' and 'dc3' all of these users are setup the same (or so I think). These three users are used for a samba share, 'dc1' is unable to establish the share connection via windows but 'dc2' and 'dc3' are able to.
smb.conf is as follows:

====
[video]
====

Thanks
Joey Piccola
Occasional Advisor

More bad formatting...

Mel,

There are no *rc files in the user's home directory '/optim/db'. The user 'dc1' .profile also looks good. The user 'dc1' .profile is also used by other users, and those users can login fine.

Something else I just noticed is I am having this issue now with 3x users 'dc1' 'dc2' and 'dc3' all of these users are setup the same (or so I think). These three users are used for a samba share, 'dc1' is unable to establish the share connection via windows but 'dc2' and 'dc3' are able to.

smb.conf is as follows:

====
[video]
====

Thanks