Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

logs location

deepakinit
Advisor

logs location

Hai all,

where do logs about lvm stored in redhat linux.Also the locations of the system logs stored.

Regards,
B.Deepak Kumar
3 REPLIES
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: logs location

All logs are in /var/log. The /var/log/messages file contains most system information, see also /etc/syslog.conf and man syslog. You should also check man dmesg.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

log files are located in /var/log. As for lvm it should default to use syslog. lvm changes should be seen in /var/log/messages. You can edit the /etc/lvm/lvm.conf file to specify a log file for lvm.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

As a side note, if you use lvm in readline mode it creates a history file in your home directory called .lvm_history. Notice the period before the file which means it's hidden. Anyway, if you type the command "lvm" you will see shell with a prompt of

lvm>

when this is run the history file is created and will have a list of commands typed.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"