3284 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: lp printing with BSDl option

Albert Smith_1
Regular Advisor

lp printing with BSDl option

Hello all,

Got a bit of a problem and I hope I can find some assistance.

We are installing some newer HP style printers on our IA-64 HP-UX 11iv2 systems using the jetadmin.

One of the printers we are working with is a HP LJ 4320dtn.

I downloaded and installed the model script from http://www.hp.com/pond/modelscripts/index2.html

Configured the printer and passed our string to print

lp -d$printer -n1 -onb -or -c -oBSDl $output

and we get the following error:

Invalid option
Please refer to MAN page for valid options

When dig into it, it appears the option that isn't valid is BSDl which filters out page breaks.

The BSD options get passed to the rmodel script from what I am seeing but for whatever reason we are getting these errors from the newer model scripts. The legacy printers work just fine.

14 REPLIES 14
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Albert,

I have found that I sometimes have to force hppi to use a different model script than the one it defaults to. In your case, I believe it's the model script that is refecting the option and you might want to try one of the other model scripts that does not reject it.

Here's a "printer add" script excerpt that shows how to force a different model:

# these printers can't be allowed to default
# to the net_lj9050 model script or to the
# net_ljM5035mfp model script - so we use
# the "-i 268" printerID syntax to select the
# net_lj8150 model script (see "addqueue -l")
#############################
/opt/hpnpl/bin/removequeue -f -q $PRNTR
/opt/hpnpl/bin/addqueue -i 268 -h $IP -q $PRNTR -b off

Pete

Pete
Albert Smith_1
Regular Advisor

Unfortuantly we can't use a different model script as we need the options from each specifc printer. As we print from SAP we need to be able to use the different trays. By selecting a different model script we lose much of that functionality. One of the things that we have noticed at least with this printer is if we use net_generic (generic LJ Printer driver) it uses different defaults then the printer defaults.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Back when I first ran into this problem I opened a support call with HP and that was their suggestion. That was over 3 years ago and I'm still waiting for them to correct the model script that I can't use.

Good luck!

Pete

Pete
Albert Smith_1
Regular Advisor

I have a call open to them as well. This is starting to concern me...
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

I never pushed very hard for a resolution because the workaround was perfectly acceptable to me. In your case, you might want to be a little less "laid back" in your dealings with support.

Pete

Pete
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

"The BSD options get passed to the rmodel script from what I am seeing but for whatever reason we are getting these errors from the newer model scripts. The legacy printers work just fine."

As far back as I can remember, the BSD option applied only to "remote" printers as opposed to "network" printers. Any chance the legacy printers you mention are remotes?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

OldSchool has it. You are trying to mix options designed for remote printers on a Windows or Linux box with an HP printer connected using JetDirect (hppi). You can't have both out of the box. If you connect the printer to a Linux box and configure it as a remote printer, then BSDl will work but you will lose 100% of all the other options (landscape, duplex, lpi, etc).

You only choice is to rewrite the 4320 printer script to add BSDl (or whatever you want to call the option). I am assuming that page breaks are CRTL-L (the ASCII formfeed character) so you cal use tr as a filter in the modified script.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Albert Smith_1
Regular Advisor

No they aren't remote printers. If the BSD option was only for remote printers then every printer that I am using via Jetdirect should fail then with an Invalid option. I only get this on newer style printers.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

ok then, so what "model" scripts are used with the "legacy" printers, or what model / type of printer are they?

You may have to hack the BSDI option out of one of those to make this work.

If you specify a remote printer, then the default is (I think) only bsd-style options work, the "-l" (minus ell) option specifies that the output is to run thru a filter that changes control characters to print, ie. Ctl-X prints as ^X, and it suppresses page breaks.

None of the printers I every used supported -oBSD that I can recall (mostly lj4s and 5s and clones thereof.