108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: lp spooler hangs a printer

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brad Marks
Super Advisor

lp spooler hangs a printer

Sysstem description: HP-UX 11.i on a rp5470 with 10GB memory and 4 cpus.

Every so often a printer in the lp queue will have a number of jobs queued up, and lpstat states that the top job is being printed, but nothing is printing. Users can print from their PC applications to the printer with no problem. I've learned that a disable wait 30 seconds or so, and enable clears the problem.

The problem is that we're a 24 hour shop and someone (often me) gets woken up to resolve the issue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brad
It's not impossible -- it'll just cost more...
6 REPLIES 6
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

This event or something similar to it happens when a print job contains an offending printer command that the target printer does not know how to handle. If it is the same printer doing this, I'd check the model script it was configured with and make sure it is the right one. A lot of times, people go with "good-enough" printer model scripts due to lack of exact model script being unavailable and the print jobs sent to the spooler might use some functions of this model script, which was not actually supported by the printer hardware.

On the other hand, there is slight possibility of your printer firmware locking up, due to a timing issue or something since it is dual homed (unix and windows printing) and might not be handling two incoming data pipes properly. You might look around to see if there is a firmware update for your printer if such a thing exists.

Last but not the least, if you can specify the printer type, and the method it is connected to the network (jet direct or attached to a PC workstation) it might help you get better answers.

The model script is net_ljx000 and is the only model script I use for all H/P LaserJet printers.

The printer is an H/P LaserJet P4015. It is connected to the network via jet direct as are all of our laser jet printers.

The firmware version is V.36.35. I am going to try to see if there is a more recent version.

I should mention that this problem occurs on other H/P LaserJet printers as well.

-Brad
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

net_ljx000 is kind of a catch-all kind of model script and from my past experience, I learned that it is very prone to problems you are describing. The one I had hung after about 30-40 print jobs sent to it constantly. I replaced the model script to the model of the printer (I was lucky enough to find the exact model script) and complaints stopped. Try using the net_lj4100 and see if it will make a difference.

The other solution I would suggest is to use the windows print server (I am assuming you have one right ?) as a remote printer. Since windows printing does not have this hanging issue, just hand the job off to that print server and be done with it. The only caveat, the windows print queue name should conform to hpux queue naming standarts (14 characters or shorter with limited characters used in the name) which is most of the time is the problem, but can be rectified by creating a parallel windows printer on this print server to print to the same device I assume (not a Redmond lover here).

I've located and downloaded the appropriate model script. Can I simply change MODELSCRIPTNAME in the queues interface file, then do an lpshut and an lpsched to have the system use the new model script. Or do I have to delete and re-define the queue?

We don't have a windows print server, but if this problem gets worse I may consider setting one up. Fortunately, this is a problem that occurs about once a month. Considering we have more than sixty printers managed by lp it's not yet a serious problem.

-Brad
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor
Solution

in addition to changing the script name, you need to copy the script (most probably in /opt/hpnpl/sh or wherever you keep your model scripts) to

/etc/lp/interface/model.orig/

of course before doing this

lpshut; sleep 1; lpstat -r

to make sure the print scheduler has stopped and afterwards

lpsched; sleep 1; lpstat -r

to make sure it came back to life.

HTH

I appreciate the help from all of you. I will now install new model scripts for our more active laserjet printers.
Thanks again,
Brad